For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A positive GDPR impact ...
Arrived at the conference centre this morning expecting the usual distraction of joining the queue to sign in to the building at the front desk....
But, signing in is no longer required as they have decided it is easier to comply with GDPR without collecting a big book of names for no real purpose.
By Bob Bevan
Anyone tried doing a phone quote for motor or home insurance recently?

My better half's renewal was due so I decided to see if it would be cheaper to arrange her policy through the same provider I use. This option was not available online so I duly called the number listed. My call was answered by the inevitable ACD system which informed me that before putting me through to a real live humanoid they would just like to run through their new privacy policy.

There followed a 3 minutes tedious monologue on a par with Vogon poetry in terms of enjoyment, usefulness or interest.

a) Can I say I felt any better about my data at the end? No!
b) Can I say it was worthwhile in any respect? No!
c) Will I ever get those 3 minutes back? In the absence of a wormhole, probably not!

Bob
By GolfHotel
yes they are all the same Frank :twisted:

I had an interesting experience the other day with my data and car insurance.

To cut a long story short. My existing company put a marker on my details that meant no one else would insure me! :shock: :shock: :shock: I got turned down when I tried to move to another company. :shock: :shock: But they refused to tell me why. :shock: :shock: Going back to my original company they renewed my insurance, took the money. THEN said they couldn't issue a cover note as they had put a marker on my name, but they couldn't tell why. :shock: :shock: Any way it turned out it was only a computer error so I had nothing to worry about. :shock: :shock: It happened just before GDPR. Maybe if it had happened after I could have followed it up. But for about 3 days I was uninsurable.
By avtur3
Here's another GDPR issue which I believe demonstrates how mad the world has gone.

Today I acted as a parent/helper on a school trip organised by my daughter who is a teacher, we, along with several other helpers, took a group of 45 children (9/10 years old) to one of the major museums in London.

Because of the school policy on GDPR we were not allowed to carry a list of the children's full names, all helpers carried a list which had only the children's first names. The children were not allowed to carry any form of ID, which might be useful in the event of them getting lost.

At the end of the day the paper lists containing the children's first names had to be accounted for and handed back to the trip leader (my daughter).

I'm sorry but I'd be surprised how any parent could be happy with this policy, which resulted in their children walking the streets of the capital with absolutely no means of identification if there was a problem and a child became separated from the school group for whatever reason.

Am I missing something obvious here, surely this is a complete misunderstanding of what GDPR is all about. As an adult with the responsibility to look after a young person then surely that is good reason for the child to be totally identifiable?

Has the world gone crazy ... or is it me?
By Miscellaneous
avtur3 wrote:Am I missing something obvious here, surely this is a complete misunderstanding of what GDPR is all about.?

I sincerely hope it is a misunderstanding, otherwise this reaches a new level of idiocy! :roll:

avtur3 wrote:Has the world gone crazy ... or is it me?

Long time ago!
By Jim Jones
avtur3 wrote:Here's another GDPR issue which I believe demonstrates how mad the world has gone.

Today I acted as a parent/helper on a school trip organised by my daughter who is a teacher, we, along with several other helpers, took a group of 45 children (9/10 years old) to one of the major museums in London.

Because of the school policy on GDPR we were not allowed to carry a list of the children's full names, all helpers carried a list which had only the children's first names. The children were not allowed to carry any form of ID, which might be useful in the event of them getting lost.

At the end of the day the paper lists containing the children's first names had to be accounted for and handed back to the trip leader (my daughter).

I'm sorry but I'd be surprised how any parent could be happy with this policy, which resulted in their children walking the streets of the capital with absolutely no means of identification if there was a problem and a child became separated from the school group for whatever reason.

Am I missing something obvious here, surely this is a complete misunderstanding of what GDPR is all about. As an adult with the responsibility to look after a young person then surely that is good reason for the child to be totally identifiable?

Has the world gone crazy ... or is it me?

I would ask to see the schools policy, it should be available easily, perhaps on its website. If they’ve not got one they’re in trouble anyway. If they have, ask what they have based it on and how it fits in with safeguarding principles.

What they are doing is a complete waste of time and a serious distraction from the key role of staff and volunteers. If it is imposed from above by the LEA ask why the children couldn’t carry the name and address of the school. (And what happens when there are children with the same first name?) Then write to the Daily Mail.
By rikur_
I can't see what aspect of GDPR would ban that.
Several sports associations raised similar questions with ICO about lists of entrants and next of kin details, and got confirmation that if done appropriately it would fall within Legitimate Interests and possibly Vital Interests
By T67M
"Please look after this bear."?

Nope - specist.

"Please look after this small furry creature"??

Nope - both size-ist and fur-ist!

"If found, please call 07123-456-7890" ???

Nope - personal information.

Hmmmm....

Got it!

"Please ignore me and look after yourself."

:wall: :wall:
Jim Jones liked this
By Bob Bevan
Philosophical question, can you write to someone to confirm your have deleted their personal data? :?

(Ooops, edit to correct spelling - doh!)
Last edited by Bob Bevan on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flintstone
Miscellaneous wrote:
avtur3 wrote:Has the world gone crazy ... or is it me?

Long time ago!

Yeah but, which one?