For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
I dropped the moggy off at Liege University vet hospital on Monday

For the proportion of female/male students - I don’t think it’s 90% female - probably closer to 60-70%, which seems in line with my Uni experience in the early 90s when I drove mini busses to and fro around the various Glasgow Uni campuses (the vets were up at a remote site).

Liege is a world class equine centre apparently- I have to say it’s the only time I’ve seen an ambulance port and “crash cart” ...for horses. They have 2 or 3 buildings dedicated to the horsy patient. One male student was taking a patient for a walk and grazing on a campus roundabout. Slightly surreal...

The consulting vet that saw us after the obligatory student was a young woman from Eastern Europe. If anyone knows the particular Liege accent,it was a bit of a chuckle to hear that mixed with E.European. I had to insist we switch to English, on the pretext it was easier for me (...to not start giggling if truth be told!).

Liege translates into “cork” in English, and if you know the accent of those from that lovely Irish city - you’re very much on the right track.

The mog remains there,they’re struggling to figure out what’s going on as well. In that respect I’m “ok” with the situation. The poor cat is, if nothing else, an interesting research case. I doubt they’ll give me a discount on the bill though...
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I hope there were no Chinese students there. If there were, there’s a high chance that moggy will be accompanied by cashew nuts and a yellow bean sauce by 2100 hrs tonight.
Nick liked this
By kanga
OCB wrote:..

The consulting vet that saw us after the obligatory student was a young woman from Eastern Europe. If anyone knows the particular Liege accent,it was a bit of a chuckle to hear that mixed with E.European. I had to insist we switch to English, on the pretext it was easier for me... .....

So, by implication, this highly qualified professional was also competent to exercise that profession in at least 3 languages (possibly 4; although Liege/Lidje is principally Walloon, there are presumably Flemish clients also) :thumright: . This, of course, is commonplace among professionals of all sorts in Europe (except in UK :roll: and, to some extent, RoI)

Not that I'm trying to drift into other issues, of course :oops:
By OCB
I doubt ulcerated buccale lesions and viral allopathic outbursts, mixed in with calicavirus would make a good choice of menu item.

The layman version of above is the cat is a sticky slevering mess, he rips his fur off in bloody chunks, and the wife has been calling him “zombie cat” for weeks.
Lindsayp wrote:Sadly in my experience a great many British people like to possess dogs, but could not remotely be described as dog-lovers. Likewise with most if not all other "owned" animals. EG most of the horse owners I've met don't actually respect and love their horses, they use them to win rosettes etc and treat the poor equines as a means to an end.

There is a big clue as to how things will get treated in the term animal "husbandry". :wink:
By OCB
Kanga, ‘‘tis probably safe to say she is conversant in at least 4 languages, and my many years with her ilk would say 6 or 7.

I actually really appreciate spending time with such people- dedicated, motivated, they see nothing as a hard block and concentrate on their strengths.

I’ve worked in the financial sector for too long. It’s very much about maximum gain (or minimal cost) for the potential benefit or loss of benefit if they don’t do something.
kanga liked this
By Flintstone
OCB wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:
There is a big clue as to how things will get treated in the term animal "husbandry". :wink:

Why am I thinking of Uncle Jack right now?

Why am I thinking of that documentary about those American blokes living in trailers in the woods, all ‘married’ to ponies?
By OCB
Marshall is now home after 5 days at the vet Uni at Liege, and much better - but still not out of the woods. When we let him out his cage, he is probably the cuddliest and happiest cat on Earth.

For the medics out there, the calicivirus had disappeared, but his buccal lesions were a big problem. He also had virul alopecia. The hospital also tried catheter via the nose and basically stuffing him like a goose. Fair enough, it seems to be the only effective solution to immuno-suppressant viruses.

Kitty got to see a vet dermatologist - a profession I actually didn't know existed - a few times.Skin biopsy taken and we'll get the results next week, but kitty had already had 2 or 3 blood tests for the usual broad spectrum of treatments the furry cuddle ball had suffered.

I don't feel so bad now.

The vet dropped her head and basically admitted defeat. I'll never understand why she reacted like that - she'd been up until that point been totally dedicated; but the instant I said she maybe could "informally" talk to her old Faculty, she freaked out.

I spoke to the Uni about this, and they are open to enquiries - but it seems they do nothing to encourage grads to "phone home" from time to time.

I get that many faculties wouldn't want "gone" grads dropping mails every 5 mins,

Anyway, mixing threads now!
By Flintstone
Pete L wrote:
Flintstone wrote:Well the cat is home, good.

In the long term?

So, we have Keynes' cat rather than Schroedinger's?

Ah, but do we?