For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Leodisflyer
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ne-voyager

I bet a Voyager would look great in the old RAF Transport Command, or even BOAC, colours.

BOAC would be my preference - a symbolic return to the 50s.

How about getting a Britannia, Comet or Beverley back in the air and allocating it to Boris? They would certainly stand out and be superb ambassadors of our ambitions.

Let’s make it happen.
flybymike, Dusty_B liked this
By chevvron
'Blair Force' was originally planned to be a couple of aircraft of the A320 family operated by a civilian operator rather than the RAF.
The government surely has enough money to lease something similar to 'supplement' the Voyager as the '146s used by 32 Sqdn are getting old and don't have transatlantic capability.
Alternatively I understand the RAFs 'Sentinel' surveillance aircraft (which are basically Bombardier Global Express bizjets) are coming to the end of their operational career; maybe one or two of these could be converted for VIP ops; they certainly have the range.
Last edited by chevvron on Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Boris does have a point, for once.

The UK has become a penny wise pound foolish economy and there is a case for some limited symbolism. Civic pride was once supported by mayoral limousines and flags on town halls even though the country was pretty poor. Parks, streets and roads were kept clean and in good repair because everybody thought it was important.

The Royal Yacht played a similar role to the limousines and a suitably liveried aeroplane is not a silly idea.

However there is no merit in looking back, that way madness lies, we need to look forward to what the UK is to become, not what it was.....
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rf3flyer wrote:Boris can travel cattle class without the possibility of an upgrade as far as I'm concerned!

I'd make him walk and swim :-) but it's not about him it's about the role he temporarily plays......
By Bill McCarthy
The Royal Yacht was the only Royal Naval vessel to earn it’s keep. It was paid off as it was a clapped out mismatch of vintage spare parts. Industries which have earned £billions from the MOD had a golden opportunity to club together to fund a new yacht (which they could still do). The only problem, wherever the yacht went, there was a RN frigate or destroyer on protection duties, one mile astern.
Another section of the RN that makes a profit is the Hydrographical fleet which produces nautical charts for the world.
By GolfHotel
johnm wrote:
rf3flyer wrote:Boris can travel cattle class without the possibility of an upgrade as far as I'm concerned!

I'd make him walk and swim :-) but it's not about him it's about the role he temporarily plays......

If we want to be taken seriously first thing is we need a replacement for Boris. One that is not a buffoon might be a good start.
johnm, rf3flyer, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this