For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Now it looks like I'm talking to myself, but I made a point about USPs not really being 'Unique', Rob corrected me, and I was acknowledging his correction.

Meanwhile, he noticed I edited my post (because I'd already figured this out for myself).

Then I replied, but in the intervening period, Rob had deleted his post.
By Pete L
Still deciding if now is too early for full electric for a rural location. Unsure about whether leasing a new PHEV is a good idea though - best option seems to be to run the existing one for another year or so.
Pete L wrote:Still deciding if now is too early for full electric for a rural location. Unsure about whether leasing a new PHEV is a good idea though - best option seems to be to run the existing one for another year or so.

Can you install a charger at your property? If so then not a problem, in fact probably much less hassle than driving to a petrol station.
Remember how we were encouraged to go Diesel ? Then particulates (carcinogenic soot) became a major issue and petrol vehicles had become cleaner and more fuel-efficient. The people who'd gone diesel were faced with higher fuel-price (was now dearer per litre than petrol) plus dearer road-tax, plus petrol-cars were given very low road-tax for low-emission vehicles. Basically, the politicians whipped the rug from under the feet of most diesel-converts.

I predict the same happening to the EV converts - as already suggested, Hydrogen might be the big thing for the 2030,s and EV's made less viable by usage-tax ,charging-costs or road tax (or a combination of sanctions)
The cost of EV's is so high it's the perogative of the higher-end of the market.
Anyone buying a huge fuel-guzzler such as a range-rover , doesn't give a damn about the huge financial hit when they sell, lot's hope I'm wrong and these costly EV's reach 3rd/4th/5th ownership with some residual value.

There are people already making refurbished battery-packs but the cost is still a major issue.
Will we see many, or indeed, any 20+ year-old EV's in daily use in the future ?
By johnm
If you look back to the petrol age it took around 40 years for fuel stations to roll out to a viable level and it took around 70 years for car ownership to become ubiquitous. EVs will follow a similar pattern but quicker so I'd guess 20 years for charging stations to roll out and 20 to 30 years for EV ownership to become ubiquitous...
malcolmfrost wrote:Once again! Why would Tesla actually want to do this at the moment?

Perhaps for no other reason than to put more weight in to their Mission Statement: "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

I too would be highly miffed if the SuperChargers were full of Korean EVs (or, God forbid, PHEVs), but that is no different from the Model S & X owners complaining about all the poor & scruffy Johnny-come-lately Model 3 owners clogging up "their" chargers now. The world needs to move on.
AndyR, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Like I suspect many people with a garage, my car lives on my drive because the garage is full of "stuff", additional freezer, tools, ladders, etc. A charging point would therefore need to be situated on the front wall of my house and therefore visible from the road. Can those already with such a point tell me:

A) How much work/disruption is involved in installing such a point? My electric and gas meters are already in boxes on the front wall outside.

B) If it is possible for a "cut off" to be installed inside the property so that the point can't be hijacked when I am away from the property and clearly so because the car won't be there?

C) The rough cost of installation? (Ball park)

PW
A) Putting a thick-dish cable between fuseboard and charger is all that is needed - sounds like it would be very easy to do in your circumstances

B) AIUI, most "smart chargers" have this facility

C) Maybe £300-500 after government subsidy?
B) My charger is on the front wall, subtly hidden by a planter and there is a cut off isolator inside the garage. Installation, which needed a 15m cable run took less than a morning. I have pretty much the top of the range charger (Zappi for using as much solar as possible) and all in it was around £1000.
I haven't visited a petrol station since I got the car (except for coffee!) as my car is always charged before I leave home.
Colonel Panic liked this
By nallen
cockney steve wrote:Will we see many, or indeed, any 20+ year-old EV's in daily use in the future ?

Average age of car at scrappage = 13.9 years.* Just saying.

*https://www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topics/sustainability/average-vehicle-age/
Propwash wrote:Like I suspect many people with a garage, my car lives on my drive because the garage is full of "stuff", additional freezer, tools, ladders, etc. A charging point would therefore need to be situated on the front wall of my house and therefore visible from the road. Can those already with such a point tell me:

A) How much work/disruption is involved in installing such a point? My electric and gas meters are already in boxes on the front wall outside.

B) If it is possible for a "cut off" to be installed inside the property so that the point can't be hijacked when I am away from the property and clearly so because the car won't be there?

C) The rough cost of installation? (Ball park)

PW

We got a fully electric vehicle in August. There is a government grant of around £500 or so which your installer claims directly. Audi were offering to provide the charging point free when you bought a car, we are leasing so we had to buy one ourselves. But living in Scotland we are able to claim back £350 ourselves from the Scottish govt following installation so all in it has cost us £100 for a charger on the outside wall of our garage.

It took the electrician a couple of hours, but that was mostly due to adding an extra consumer unit to our incoming supply as there wasn’t a suitable spare slot in our existing set up. Then drilled a small hole out to the position of the unit and wired it up.

We can isolate in the garage whenever we want, but our charging point also has an app that we can use to control it, we register the car on it which presumably would mean another user can’t plugin without us authorising it. Haven’t had the opportunity to try this yet.

The added bonus of living in Scotland is we pay £10 admin fee for a charging card and then the vast majority of the charging network North of the Border is free to use. So the longer nobody else is using it the better as far as we are concerned :lol: