For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I think the words "open to other vehicles" needs to be taken with caution. The platform may technically be open to anyone who wants to piggy back, but with the absence of payment options at the point of delivery, just how the electrons will be paid for is a mystery (to me at least).
Colonel Panic wrote:I think the words "open to other vehicles" needs to be taken with caution. The platform may technically be open to anyone who wants to piggy back, but with the absence of payment options at the point of delivery, just how the electrons will be paid for is a mystery (to me at least).

If we ever buy another car it will probably be an EV, to be used almost entirely for local trips with overnight charging at home. If the Tesla charging points were available for the very rare occasions when it absolutely had to be used for a longer trip, that might make the purchase of another marque more attractive, even if the charge was, pro rata, more expensive.
This isn't new news. Tesla have been saying for years that their charging platform is open to be used by other manufacturers.

The fact that no mainstream manufacturer has taken them up on this must be down to commercial reasons.
Colonel Panic wrote:I think the words "open to other vehicles" needs to be taken with caution. The platform may technically be open to anyone who wants to piggy back, but with the absence of payment options at the point of delivery, just how the electrons will be paid for is a mystery (to me at least).

As the owner of a non -Tesla EV I have signed up to various providers, they use a phone app or an RFID card linked to a payment source.

West Yorkshire local authorities have set up a network that is free til October 2021 in order to encourage use.

VW are trying to get a unified system going across several providers, but from what I can see it is not as cheap as most others, so I won't be using it except in extremis.
Not done any long trips, next one is planned for May, but others may happen sooner, so far home charging is fine.

Any way, whats to stop Tesla joining in?
Jim Jones wrote:Any way, whats to stop Tesla joining in?

In principle, nothing. Except the SuperCharging machines do not have a screen / payment option (unlike Polar & Ionity etc etc), so unless Tesla has access to every VIN & associated credit card details, how could they obtain funds from the non-Tesla drivers that plug in?

Just for clarity ... when a Tesla connects to a SuperCharger, the automatic electronic "handshake" between car and post means that Tesla know which credit card to invoice. The user doesn't have to do anything other than open the charge port flap & plug in.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Jim Jones wrote:The VW system has the VIN displayed in the app, and is linked to my credit card . I’m sure the charger could pick that up via the plug.
(Rubs hands in anticipation )

Presumably its simple enough to have a linked contactless payment sensor on the plug><socket then they will have no need of inconvenient intermediaries like banks and credit card companies.
Easily done, but someone needs to organise it; I suppose for starters, Tesla could invite EV drivers to submit their VIN & CC details, and then go from there.

It is a great shame that all charge post providers did not go down that route from the outset rather than relying on flakey 3G coverage +/or RFID cards.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Once again! Why would Tesla actually want to do this at the moment? They have a USP and an exceptional and easy to use network. I would be roundly hacked off if I turned up at an SuC to find it blocked by VWs. If the exchange was VW built large charging setups in different locations accessible to Teslas so the ratio of SuC/car remained the same but with more convenience then maybe a goer.