For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
  • 1
  • 118
  • 119
  • 120
  • 121
  • 122
  • 141
#1805060
Boing_737 wrote:... also "only" 50KW/h charging max on CCS.


Which, as you intimated, is woeful. A Supercharger pushes out well over 125 kW (giving a top up rate of adding over 500 miles range per hour on charge (even if that is a bit of a non-statistic!)).

IIRC the new v3 Superchargers push out up to 250 kW :shock:
#1805061
JonathanB wrote:I got my BEV on the basis that I’ll very very rarely have to charge away from home. It’s about time all the networks did away with their membership cards etc and just went contactless debit/credit card. That said I have GeniePoint as that’s the work system and I just got a Shell card (which I don’t think needs topping up, just takes the charge from your credit card per-use). Not worth signing up for PolarPlus as I won’t use it anywhere near enough to be effective.


There are some single card solutions slowly gaining traction for charging.

The Charge Your Car network is a reasonable one, which also covers ChargePlace Scotland. And vice versa if you happen to have a ChargePlace Scotland card but not CYC.

Octopus are slowly building up their Electric Juice coverage, though still a ways to go it’s promising.

And I think I possibly read somewhere that public charge points in future are going to have to offer a straightforward contactless payment option. Though that’s likely to mean more two tier pricing... pay less if you’re a “member”, more if you’re not.
#1805063
Colonel Panic wrote:Almost certainly not due to the charging infrastructure.


And that is the reality.

Tesla is way way ahead of the curve in a large part due to that.

Unless the big players start to play big it will be Tesla or Tesla for the big milers.

One of the large service station suppliers has to topple over onto delivering a good charging infrastructure and I think that cannot be too far off.

PS You know LR products are 'verboten' here by Mrs FD - her British heritage means she knows what they used to market in the past and she reckons we have contributed to their coffers for a life-time with repairs of normally not needing to be repaired bits in any other reputable car manufacturers products.
Colonel Panic liked this
#1805070
Jim Jones wrote:
stevelup wrote:And aren't they all from an overseas maker?

Even Morgan isn't British owned any more...


We still design and assemble things here and employ UK workers. That's going to be increasingly important for all sorts of reasons as the western world Balkans itself.
MYGA will eventually be my motto, (Make Yorkshire Great Again)

What on Earth do you mean by "Again"? :wink:

PW
Jim Jones liked this
#1805072
Yes, and I would have to pay extra per month for the Model 3 LR and IPace (£30/month for the Model 3, and due to a special deal currently going on with Jaguar, £83 for an SE or £117 for a HSE). I like a hatchback (currently have a 525 Touring). I've kind if realised that the charging network is probably not as much of a worry. The IPace "only" has 100KW/h charging speed (the models available are the MY20, the newer MY21 would have 150), and I haven't seen many 100+ chargers around, so probably a moot point for the next few years.
#1805074
Propwash wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:
stevelup wrote:And aren't they all from an overseas maker?

Even Morgan isn't British owned any more...


We still design and assemble things here and employ UK workers. That's going to be increasingly important for all sorts of reasons as the western world Balkans itself.
MYGA will eventually be my motto, (Make Yorkshire Great Again)

What on Earth do you mean by "Again"? :wink:

PW


It’s still recovering from Scargill v Thatcher , the closure of steel works etc. And there’s a lot of resentment building again in The North against Boris.
#1805077
Jim Jones wrote:It’s still recovering from Scargill v Thatcher , the closure of steel works etc. And there’s a lot of resentment building again in The North against Boris.


Hopefully not amongst those who voted for the current course.....

Everyone knew what they voted for didn't they.
#1805091
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:It’s still recovering from Scargill v Thatcher , the closure of steel works etc. And there’s a lot of resentment building again in The North against Boris.


Hopefully not amongst those who voted for the current course.....

Everyone knew what they voted for didn't they.



What they are getting isn't what they voted for, bit like promoting BEVs with no infrastructure

There seems to be another shove towards hydrogen and air source heat pumps for domestic use and remove natural gas from the new pipes they are busy laying in every road round here. That may impact on the development of hydrogen ICE or fuel cell car development and my proposed BEV becomes the betamax of road vehicles. :scratch:
#1805092
Hydrogen is NFG for normal cars; for municipal fleets good and maybe OK for trucks.

Don't know enough about domestic housing but suspect no good for that either.

Electric is brilliant for a lot of stuff and that includes powering air/ground source heat pumps for domestic heating. It will force housing stock to be properly insulated for a start, rather than burning 'cheap' fuel to make up for the losses through ineffective housing stock.

@eltonioni knows probably more about domestic heating etc. Interested in his view
#1805093
stevelup wrote:The first rule any new EV owner needs to know is to forget Ecotricity exists - simply pretend they are not there and don't even consider them when planning routes.


Zapmap allows you to set the charge companies you want to use, but by God they need to improve that interface. It doesn't remember your setting and there isn't a "select all" button so you can go back through and delete the ones you don't want!
#1805096
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Electric is brilliant for a lot of stuff and that includes powering air/ground source heat pumps for domestic heating. It will force housing stock to be properly insulated for a start, rather than burning 'cheap' fuel to make up for the losses through ineffective housing stock.


Amen to that. If heat pumps are rolled out as a magic solution and fitted into crappily insulated British houses, wait for the massive push-back against the technology as the enormous heating bills roll in.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1805097
nallen wrote:If heat pumps are rolled out as a magic solution and fitted into crappily insulated British houses, wait for the massive push-back against the technology as the enormous heating bills roll in.

And then there's the additional demands on the grid and generation.
#1805099
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Hydrogen is NFG for normal cars; for municipal fleets good and maybe OK for trucks.

Don't know enough about domestic housing but suspect no good for that either.

Electric is brilliant for a lot of stuff and that includes powering air/ground source heat pumps for domestic heating. It will force housing stock to be properly insulated for a start, rather than burning 'cheap' fuel to make up for the losses through ineffective housing stock.

@eltonioni knows probably more about domestic heating etc. Interested in his view



AIU Air source pumps will never get the typical UK house up to the required temperature and would be an enormous strain on grid capacity, especially if it also used for domestic hot water. Hydrogen generation using windpower will make use of overnight surplus as a means of storing energy. The new plastic pipes will not leak hydrogen and all new boilers after 2025 are meant to be easily converted 'at the flick of a switch' with no need for gas fitters to visit like we did in the 60's. The energy provided is such that it can replace natural gas but will need greater volume due to its low density. The product of combustion, as any schoolboy knows, is water, good bye CO2 and soot

Once the supply is in place why not have a compressor at home to fuel your car?
  • 1
  • 118
  • 119
  • 120
  • 121
  • 122
  • 141