For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
The "You must drain and replace your brake fluid or you and your puppy will die horrible deaths at the next corner" is bollox.

I know this as I was in the marketing meeting at AP Lockheed when it originated.

The engineers confided that this might well be the case if you drove your 7 litre AC Cobra to the max every day and happened to live in the Alps. But for an everyday street car, even high performance, driven to normal limits it was merely a clever wheeze to sell more fluid.

Rob P
eltonioni liked this
Indeed.
My worry is if there is a brake problem in the future within the warranty period, and I haven't had it serviced in accordance with their requirements, whether Renault would honour the warranty rather than there being a safety issue.
Being an EV, brakes aren't used much so would depend on how well sealed the system is from water and whether the fluid gets circulated (or whether there are parts which end up full of crud, which apparently has been some people's experience). Lack of circulation makes testing it for water content difficult.
I can't think of a brake issue that a decent independent couldn't fix for less than the franchise dealer appears to be charging for brake fluid

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I would hope that.
Its the cost of the blended regen / friction brake control system (and the complexity / expense of diagnosing anything to do with it) that worries me. In saying that, after a few recalls around the braking systems on early models (not due to the control unit - the parking gear pin had an issue and some hoses were miss-installed) there haven't been any reported weaknesses or failures with the system on the Zoe. I've only had the car 18 months so far - so I've a few years before needing to worry about it.
Another benefit of leasing - I previously always discounted that as an option but when I did the sums once more taking everything into consideration it is (for me) the best option to drive a car for work.

Servicing according to manufacturers requirements included (in this case no servicing for the duration of the keep) and just give the thing in a half decent state back and it is done.
We got a 5 year interest free loan for ours, so for around £5k more (plus servicing) over 5 years I own the car.
Depreciation looks low on my model, as the latest model has had a price hike. I see equivalent cars to mine on Auto trader being advertised for what I paid for mine new a year ago.
Rob P wrote:The "You must drain and replace your brake fluid or you and your puppy will die horrible deaths at the next corner" is bollox.

I know this as I was in the marketing meeting at AP Lockheed when it originated.

The engineers confided that this might well be the case if you drove your 7 litre AC Cobra to the max every day and happened to live in the Alps. But for an everyday street car, even high performance, driven to normal limits it was merely a clever wheeze to sell more fluid.

Rob P

Every now and again the bullshit veil draws back :thumleft:

At retail, regular DOT 4 brake fluid costs about a tenner. Non hygroscopic DOT 5 is about a tenner more. One lasts "two years" and creates an endless pipeline of mandatory servicing costs, the other lasts forever.

We are absolute mugs. :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
Tesla recommend the brake fluid is checked for water every 2 years, note not “replaced”!
Incidentally there are around 5 new SuC sites that have surfaced in the planning system Over the last couple of days,Pease Pottage and Reading are the most notable, Pease Pottage fills in a massive gap between Liphook and Maidstone.
They are serious about the future!
stevelup wrote:There's only a couple of grand between a well specced Leaf and a Tesla Model 3 SR+

Makes the Leaf look like appalling value for money.

Not when leasing, Tesla seems a lot more per month.
JonathanB wrote:Not when leasing, Tesla seems a lot more per month.

Oh just go for it, you know you want to, you'll never be entirely happy with an alternative and you'll only regret not doing it in the years to come.

Life's too short to deny ourselves what we really want. Better to spend a bit more on your desire than waste a bit less on something you don't really want. :wink:

So 'just do it''. :thumright:

And come tell us about the smile it puts on your face every time you drive it. :D
AndyR liked this
Hehe, maybe I need to look at PCP options as well. Currently spending £340/pm on a lease, didn’t want to spend very much more.