For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
The transmission tunnel benefits the rear passengers by allowing the floor either side of it to be lower meaning you're not sat at a janky angle with your knees above your abdomen like you are in some other cars with flat batteries taking up the whole underbody.
Last edited by stevelup on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Panic liked this
I don't know why we are even arguing about USPs - I admire the SUC network - it's a brilliant thing. I was questioning why on earth they would share it. It was a positive comment about Tesla.

I'm not sure any other manufactures really have a USP worth mentioning. I guess the Polestar's Android Automotive solution is, for now, 'unique'.
Colonel Panic liked this
I would say none.

( I don't think the renting of the battery for Renault is a USP)
SUC and Range are the envy of the 'small' BEV types.

I recently did a trip which was 600 km each way; I was disappointed to have to fill up with petrol three to get there and back and have some juice in the tank, having been used to do it nearly in one go and after one fill up still have enough fuel for a week and a bit in our previous diesel car.

Even Polestar and Tesla dont come near that (less necessary as you can charge at home rather than at a smelly fuel station)
The most negative thing “not so much here but in the world of EVs” is the constant comparison to Tesla.

Dont get me wrong im a fan and owner of a Tesla but I also see their shortcomings but they are who they are and they are doing their thing, I think Tesla can be credited with accelerating the move to EV’s and I for one am chuffed so many EVs are on the market and more to come.

Someone comes out with a new EV and it’s always “Tesla killer, not as good as M3” yet a new Corsa comes out and where is the noise about how it’s gonna kill the fiesta...

Good, bad, ugly, sexy, fast, slow the more EVs for us to choose from the better, I’ve driven Nissans all my life but when I finally wanted to make the move to a BEV but get something that was big like my x-trail but fun like my zed I had Only one option, today just two years on I have a good few more and despite being a fan of Tesla I’m excited about my next EV because the amount of good choice is great!

I also remember going into my local Nissan dealer a few years back and came out with a qashqai, they worked so hard to NOT sell me a leaf and I still regret that as the leaf started my love of EV’s
Colonel Panic liked this
Fellsteruk wrote:Someone comes out with a new EV and it’s always “Tesla killer, not as good as M3” yet a new Corsa comes out and where is the noise about how it’s gonna kill the fiesta...

Its normal to compare something new with something established.
There were, and still are, alot of "new 911 killer" or "Range Rover Rival" or even "Better than BMW 3/5/M3" headlines...
As frustrating as it is, it was inevitable that the PS2 would be compared with the TM3. They are after all in exactly the same segment - a segment otherwise completely unoccupied a the moment.

I can tell you there's a whoop from the community when a review manages to mention Tesla fewer than five times, and extra bonus points when the word Tesla doesn't appear in the bleedin' headline...

It's annoying for me because I don't care how it compares to a Tesla. I care how it compares to BMW / Audi / Merc's £50k offerings...
Fellsteruk liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I would say none.

( I don't think the renting of the battery for Renault is a USP)

You can no longer buy a new Zoe with battery lease.
Every car has USPs -otherwise there would be no real choice.
Zoe has the fastest AC charging, using its motor windings to do the voltage coversion. Those are unique properties. Tesla and others require large roadside AC/DC convertors to provide rapid charging and few are going to install those at home. Much easier and cheaper to pump 3 phase electricity directly into a Zoe, with a wall box essentially just doing connections / discconections.
There is always a price /value for money question. Zoe is still the best priced city EV in my opinion for what you get. It's easy to drive / park. It competes on the cheaper end of the market - not a competitor to Tesla or Polestar.
Zoe has the fastest AC charging, using its motor windings to do the voltage coversion. Those are unique properties. Tesla and others require large roadside AC/DC convertors to provide rapid charging and few are going to install those at home

I would contend that it is unnecessary, which is possibly why it's unique! My SR+ charges at 22mi/hr on single phase at home, so 0-100% in 10 hours, more normally 50% in 5 which in practice is plenty.
Interesting that the weight of the Polestar is so high, obviously "build quality" comes at a price!
Zoe has the fastest AC charging ...

malcolmfrost wrote:I would contend that it is unnecessary, which is possibly why it's unique!

It is a £1,000 cost option on the Zoe, so even Renault are not 100% sure it is necessary either. :wink:

But I accept it is a USP.

(And I do like the Zoe - I am not knocking it).
stevelup wrote:.. embarrassingly slow.

Absolutely, or in acceleration, or in some part of the acceleration spectrum ?

If we ever buy another car (a year ago I'd have said when.. ) it would be to replace a diesel Mini, used almost only on shortish trips to and round town, or on narrow and twisting lanes. 30-40 mph would often be the maximum legal, and even more often the maximum safe, speed, and acceleration rarely an issue: we're never in a hurry these days :)

Haven't yet started looking for reviews of the electric Mini, but interested to hear from any Forumites with direct or anecdotal experience of it.
stevelup wrote:Super cool but embarrassingly slow.

and an underwhelming WLTP range of 200km.

The i3s has 50% more than that and even that is a PITA in daily use.

Unless there is an affordable BEV with a range of at least 450km on offer when the business lease on the BMW finishes, its replacement will be a hybrid (with >50km battery range to qualify for the tax benefit here)