For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote: .... I refer the learned Gentleman to my post of several months ago....
(Which some sought to bash, yet appears to be still relavent...) ....

Ah ... therein lies the problem, 'learned' is a rather inappropriate description to apply to me. I have a sieve for a brain such that by lunchtime of any particular day I would not be able to tell you what I had for breakfast.

Sadly that means the chances of me remembering the contents of your earlier post can be represented by a number approaching zero. However, I'm glad that my comment has proved your earlier comment to be entirely correct.
skydriller liked this
avtur3 wrote:Talk of the £3,500 government grant towards the cost of new EV's being axed is gaining ground again...petrol, diesel and fully electric models. The starting price for petrol £16k, the starting point for a pure EV £30k :shock: That made me think ...£30k for a Corsa, who would pay that? A typical PCP was quoted on a 4 year deal, £4.5k upfront followed by 47 months at £299 per month. Factor in the upfront payment and that combines to make a 48 month eqivalent of £387 per month ... for a Corsa.

I've just got round to reading the latest Oldie. Its motoring columnist discusses a particular marque. Its latest model has as its cheapest variant the hybrid.

It's the Bentley Bentayga SUV: hybrid a mere £133k, the cheapest current Bentley, claiming a theoretical 80.7mpg (but cannot have a towbar). The 6-litre W12 Speed would cost you £185k. The Mulsanne V8 saloon would be up to £280k. Just thought you'd all like to know .. :)

(Still awaiting with interest reviews of the EV Mini .. )
Just a tiny bit of thread creep to highlight the fact that the world's most pointless BEV has arrived.

An electric Harley-Davidson :shock:

For non-bikers, the HD brand is an American thing designed for travelling comparatively slowly along largely straight roads (they are slow and don't go round corners with any degree of accomplishment)

They only have one* thing going for them, a sound that some find attractive.

Rob P

*Unless you REALLY like the smell of Duraglit :?
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonathanB wrote:Kia not available on out car scheme... and not sure what the lead time for them is either, it was >12 months.

A friend has just taken delivery of a Kia, and he's very pleased, especially as he's also seen that test. It was a lead time of over twelve months in the end, and he did consider cancelling the order, but glad he didn't in the end.
By PaulB
Off at a slight tangent, but did I read that Mercedes’ EV plans were thrown off course by Tesla buying the battery tech company that Mercedes used?
Colonel Panic wrote:Er, dunno. Did you? :D

I’m sure that I did.... I’m just not sure where. Was rather hoping someone else had read it too. :-)
By stevelup
AIUI, Mercedes buy their cells from LG Chemicon as do Jaguar, Audi, and probably many others. Tesla also buy cells from LG.

You'd think any shortages will either be shared across them all. Perhaps Tesla's inventory management is better. They just bought enough!
By nallen
PaulB wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Er, dunno. Did you? :D

I’m sure that I did.... I’m just not sure where. Was rather hoping someone else had read it too. :-)

I read something like that somewhere … possibly this story:

https://insideevs.com/news/395392/tesla-grohmann-acquisition-taking-toll-mercedes/
It was reported in the last few days that Covid-19 (first time I used that new name) has stopped EV production for someone - Jag I think. The whole EV industry still seems to run on a kiss and a promise.
By Elecy
I think that a prolonged component production shutdown would cause issues for the whole motor industry, not just EVs, given the just in time models. It appears sooner for EVs as there are fewer alternative component suppliers currently available.

Mark
eltonioni wrote:It was reported in the last few days that Covid-19 (first time I used that new name) has stopped EV production for someone - Jag I think. The whole EV industry still seems to run on a kiss and a promise.

Whereas the cars are run on wind and solar.

You are correct though in that there is currently a shortage of battery manufacturing capacity. Manufacturers have, arguably, held off too long on investing in EVs. Consumer demand for EVs is increasing at the same time as sales of legacy cars are showing signs of decline and there isn’t enough overall manufacturing capacity yet. The legacy car makers have left a big gap for new entrants.
Korenwolf wrote:
JonathanB wrote:Kia not available on out car scheme... and not sure what the lead time for them is either, it was >12 months.

A friend has just taken delivery of a Kia, and he's very pleased, especially as he's also seen that test. It was a lead time of over twelve months in the end, and he did consider cancelling the order, but glad he didn't in the end.

I liked the Kia when I drove it. It gets good customer feedback and has a great real world range. Barrier for me was the lack of matching charging infrastructure and the high cost when compared with the Model 3 with the Tesla supercharger network - although the price of an equivalent long range Model 3 has since gone up.

I think that Kia is among the backers of one of the newer charging companies that’s rolling out very high speed chargers. Not many non-Tesla high speed (150kWh+) speed sites in the UK yet, but they are coming soon and Kia owners should get access to better pricing than the wider public on one of the fast networks.

The market is going to be subject to very big change over the next 2-3 years. Lots of new models coming out, price parity with legacy cars is forecast and quality charge points are being built that should break the Tesla near monopoly on fast and convenient regular long distance travel.
Korenwolf liked this
By Flying_john
Has anyone tried the so called "Car Brokers" for a new LEAF as with the BIK on new EV at 0% for 2020 and only 1% for 2021 and 1st year 100% capital write down , I want to look into trying to get a good price on a new one as mine is now 5yrs old.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this