For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
When I used to travel back to Chatham Dockyard at 03.00 on a Monday morning from weekend leave I had the whole M1 to myself (indeed, it was difficult to stay awake) and the North Circular was a breeze. Returning off a weekend was a very hazardous affair as many didn’t complete the journey having been written off, running into backs of lorries or disappearing over embankments, being run over doing a tyre change etc.
For anyone remotely interested in the future of renewables and electric vehicles, Fully Charged Live is on this Friday-Sunday at Farnborough. I went to the one at Silverstone a couple of years ago and there was some very interesting stuff. Test drives will be going on as well.
https://fullycharged.show/events/fully-charged-live-2021/
eltonioni liked this
I stopped off at the Oxford M40 services the other day to top up with power at the Supercharger and their was a Tesla "Ranger" walking up and down the bays asking if anyone wanted a quick health check done on their car, from looking at the tyres, brakes & wipers to topping up the screen wash. I have to say that I was most impressed with the whole thing.
Interesting stuff here

"World EV Day: AA says EV ranges are 'far better than drivers think'" https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... ith_images

Only 4% of AA callouts to EV are flat motive battery. Prime causes are tyres and the 12v battery.

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Only 4% of AA callouts to EV are flat motive battery. Prime causes are tyres and the 12v battery.

:scratch:
Im sure this has been answered before, but why is a 12V battery ever going to go flat before the presumably Big Eff-Off Motive Battery, that presumably should/could be charging it all the time (unlike in an ICE)...what am I missing?

Regards, SD..
@skydriller

As I understand it, the motive battery is isolated when the car is switched off and requires the 12V to unisolate (is that a word?) it.

If the 12v fails in the normal way these things do, usually one day after the warranty expires, it has no access to the motive battery's bountiful store of amps, watts and volts.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Rob P wrote:...
Prime causes are tyres...

I was in the tyre place earlier this week and overheard a conversation that Tesla tyres were £750 at the beginning of the year. I don't pay anything like that for the Porker tyres.
Model 3, the little job, about £180 for appropriate Michelin. (19″ 235 / 40 96W)

It does seem a lot when I am buying huge Contis for the Jaguar at £140

But then I realised that £180 x 4 = £720

Rob P