For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
PaulB wrote:... How does 0-62 in 2.8s sound? ..

utterly useless and positively unappealing for the sort of driving our household does, and I'd be nervous of sharing the road (or even an autobahn) with someone to whom it would appeal. But I now like my driving to be uneventful, even boring... :roll:

I look forward to there being an EV (or plug-in hybrid) whose OTR price and running (including battery lease/guarantee) costs are similar to a small- to midsize petrol/diesel family or town car, recharges overnight on 13A plug, 2-300 mile realistic range on such a car, and with LOTS (so many that one can expect to find one free) of WORKING recharge points nationwide including on Motorway service stations where a fast charge can be paid for at a fair price. I expect that I may be the more typical buyer if there is to be a significant surge in sales. I also suspect I am not alone in that our next car will probably be an EV or a PHEV, but that we will be hanging on to both our unexciting diesels (10yo small and 5yo middle) until either one is no longer serviceable or something like my wishlist is available.

I shall be looking out for reviews of the (imminent ?) MINI EV with some interest
Last edited by kanga on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulB liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:
PaulB wrote:
PaulB wrote:https://twitter.com/porschegb/status/1192447063977549830

I'm surprised there's been no comment on this./

I didn't because you didn't.

:-)

Not in my league...... in fact so far away it’s not even an aspiration.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:I look forward to there being an EV (or plug-in hybrid) whose OTR price and running (including battery lease/guarantee) costs are similar to a small- to midsize petrol/diesel family or town car, recharges overnight on 13A plug, 2-300 mile realistic range on such a car, and with LOTS (so many that one can expect to find one free) of WORKING recharge points nationwide including on Motorway service stations where a fast charge can be paid for at a fair price. I expect that I may be the more typical buyer if there is to be a significant surge in sales. I also suspect I am not alone in that our next car will probably be an EV or a PHEV, but that we will be hanging on to both our unexciting diesels (10yo small and 5yo middle) until either one is no longer serviceable or something like my wishlist is available.

I shall be looking out for reviews of the (imminent ?) MINI EV with some interest

Other than the purchase or lease price for the new EVs your wish list can easily get full filled today.
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Other than the purchase or lease price

But thats the decider isnt it....money?
I just cant see myself ever spending more than ~15k on another "everyday" car....I could afford an EV, I just have other things id rather spend my money on....like flying. :mrgreen:
By stevelup
My budget is 50-ish, and there's a real gap there at the moment.

There are plenty of more expensive options.
There are plenty of cheaper options.

The only option is the Tesla Model 3 which I'm just not interested in.

So I'm waiting...
PaulB wrote:It's still the case that EVs are still largely very expensive. The ZOE is the only real full EV with a decent range close to being acceptable to the mass market, but when I looked at it the battery lease made it as expensive or more so than a normal car for the miles that I will do.

I'd love a model 3 but you're still talking almost 40K for the basic model and though there are relatively few options they are all quite costly.

It's very, very nice after the most recent software update as they've tried to emulate the Leaf e-pedal to a limited extent. If you are doing enough mileage then it becomes financially attractive, but if you re doing that sort of mileage then you also need the long range or performance model.

Mine will go through the 8,000 mile mark next week three months after getting it. I'm still relaxing into mine, it's a mix of German seat & wheel feel with American laid back. Best enjoyed chilled, but it is also gorgeous cross-country in the Cotswolds where the roads feel just right - wide enough with climbs and sweeping bends. Devon and Cornwall roads are a bit narrow, which is a shame as there is more than enough range to not bother about the infrastructure down there. I'm looking for an opportunity to get onto the A701 or A702 in Scotland - some great memories of those roads and would love to do them in a Model 3. I think it would excel.

If you don't need the range then I maintain that the 40kWH Leaf remains a nice car for the price.
Colonel Panic liked this
stevelup wrote:My budget is 50-ish, and there's a real gap there at the moment.

My last ICE car got to 195000 miles of which I did 185000 before the engine blew a piston ring.
Still on the original clutch.
I relied on the MOT to find out anything wrong with it - other than that I just replaced the oil regularly the air filter and spark plug every now and then when I could be arrsed, made sure tyres were legal, and the cambelt was changed when it should be.
You were meant to replace the fuel filter every service: yeah right- never did it ever.

My current ICE one was bought at 95000 miles and cost me £1100.
I hoping/expecting to get another 100000 miles out of it.

When EV's get down to this sort of overall running costs I'm interested - in the meantime they can shove it.
stevelup wrote:My budget is 50-ish, and there's a real gap there at the moment.

There are plenty of more expensive options.
There are plenty of cheaper options.

The only option is the Tesla Model 3 which I'm just not interested in.

So I'm waiting...

Suspect you'll be waiting a while. It's not just the car, but the supporting infrastructure and Tesla have a big head start. I wish it were different as competition would be very healthy.

I'm slightly saddened that some photos I've seen of concepts coming through seem to copy the Tesla design. Weight and clutter are a big thing in EVs - you need to keep them as light as possible (taking into account the battery) so as not to waste energy, which would lead to longer charge times. That said the minimalistic approach, which is what is being copied, isn't to everybody's taste and a couple more buttons in the Model 3 would make things a lot easier for the software designers so that they can better match features that we've come to expect in other cars.

It would be wonderful if Steve Jobs and Elon Musk had worked together - Jobs for his single minded focus on a simple, but usable design, Musk for his vision. Tesla don't seem to be as strong on software and user interfaces as, say, Apple. All of their focus seems to be going into self driving. The clutter of the Spotify implementation is an example. Too much focus on making things pretty, not enough realisation that (at the moment) drivers need to be able to focus on the road ahead and should't need to try and interpret large amount sf information and pictures on screens. There's a lot to be said for buttons - they are in fixed places and quick to learn and use.

On weight - the Long range Model 3 weighs nearly 4,100lb I believe. It rarely feels heavy, but I was very glad of the weight driving through the heavy rain and standing water today - it cut through it beautifully and felt very sure and stable. The Leaf caught me by surprise, in a positive way, in similar conditions on the motorway for the same reason.
Colonel Panic liked this
By riverrock
Zoe is 1,468 kg (3,236 lb) kerb weight.
They are heavy with low centre of gravity. Means that road holding is good.

Read today that any emission reduction that electric cars have brought to the UK so far has been more than offset by people buying ICE SUVs which drink a lot more fuel (on average) than "normal" cars.
Have to confess that CO2 wasn’t my motivation for going electric - at least not directly. It was cost saving and also buying in to modern technology and an improved experience.

The fact that I can do 100 miles a day for £1.40 (more in winter) is a big draw. If I was doing only a few miles a week then it wouldn’t cost in. There are various other benefits such as not needing to stand around on forecourts, but, for a similar experience I’d have been paying a lot for a car anyway and then the running costs of that car would have blown the budget.

I’ll do around 300 miles today. As the temperatures are low I might do a quick supercharger top-up (which also warms the battery) grab breakfast and use the last of my free miles or call it at a nice, but slower, Polar charger for a break with priority parking. Will get home this evening stress-free and refreshed.
Leodisflyer wrote:... and a couple more buttons in the Model 3 would make things a lot easier for the software designers ...

... and for the drivers! Putting the Hazard Warning Lights switch above the rear view mirror, right next to the Emergency SOS Call Button is plain daft - especially as it is (bizarrely) actually quite difficult to distinguish the two apart.

Thankfully you get a voice prompt telling you to cancel the call within x seconds if you didn't mean to press the panic button, but even so this is an ergonomic mess.
By stevelup
Leodisflyer wrote:Suspect you'll be waiting a while. It's not just the car, but the supporting infrastructure and Tesla have a big head start. I wish it were different as competition would be very healthy.

I don't really need much infrastructure. I can charge both at home and at the office. Every single car park I use in London has a whole selection of rapid chargers, and plenty more are cropping up every day. I think it will be fine.