For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Colonel Panic wrote:The grief, delays and bother that Tesla have been giving these owners .

Yes imagine having no reward camera and losing the audible chime on your turn signal. I forsee a steep increase in PTSD and suicides.

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:Too much control over the car and owner - but - could Tesla disable a car if it was stolen ?

In theory yes - but I believe that they wont. In reality - savvy thieves will disable remote access as soon as they have the car, because otherwise you would be able to track them to their salvage yard.

As an aside - if you try to salvage a Tesla, they will disable many features including fast charging and supercharger access. No "right to repair" for Tesla.
By skydriller
riverrock wrote:As an aside - if you try to salvage a Tesla, they will disable many features including fast charging and supercharger access. No "right to repair" for Tesla.

So even more restrictive than the previously disparaged "dealer" servicing/warranty thing on traditional ICE vehicles then? :wink:
Wouldn't trust Tesla as far as I could chuck one and with a market cap' that's literally ten times that of VW they need to find ways of making money that nobody has ever thought of before. As a short term vehicle buyer it's probably not an issue - enjoy the ride - but as a business it suggests that some form of regulatory oversight is needed quickly if it's not to end in tears / exploding batteries / environmental disaster / financial ruin / whatever.
By Pete L
Which article today less than complimentary on the state of the charging infrastructure - less uncomplimentary about the id3. If I go for electric it will be the longest range I can find.
Pete L wrote:If I go for electric it will be the longest range I can find.

Not sure I would go along with that; for day to day use range isn't an issue, so you would be at risk of limiting your choice of wheels unnecessarily. And even the longest range won't be enough for a couple of trips a year (without topping up somewhere en-route), so again, base your choice on more than just range would be my Top Tip.

(But I would be swayed by the en-route charging network, as I was with choosing a Tesla :wink: )
By Rob P
Even buying them less than a year ago the shares have doubled.

(Flyer Fantasy Stock Exchange.)

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Just taken it back to the dealer.

With lockdown not particularly much to go and do but managed to take it out for a trip to a mate to pick up some stuff.

It is Tiguan sized and the ride is commensurate, higher position than a normal car. Much more comfortable than the i3 as the wheelbase if much longer and the wheels meatier than the ultra-thin stock BMW wheels to squeeze every inch out of the battery - range wise.

Normal doors rather than the funky but totally useless clams on the i3.

The experience is a positive one and things have clearly moved on since the development of the i3. It is much more a 'normal' car and got the thumbs up from the rest of the family, very spacious back and front seats, comfortable. Big boot. It has all the mod cons you can expect of a car in this price range €35-55k. It is a lot more conventional than the Model 3, has a lot less oomph (plenty but the intergalactic launch found in the i3 and even more so the Model 3 is absent) The range on this one was counter to what I expected not so large that I did not have to adapt my drive to make the journey in one go, to be fair I started off with only 70% 'in the tank' but got back with only 5% left.

Much as I enjoyed the experience, getting back into the nippy i3 was quite nice again.

So what to do next?

Enquire about larger range versions.

See what the lease price is and have a gander at hybrids such as the Tiguan, and some BMW offerings. If the plug in range is 50km or more they are taxed the same as pure EVs.

I really like the EV driving experience but I am totally done with short range cars.