For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Many thanks @Rob P a quick crude assessment suggests that a Tesla S is now getting to the point where it's comparable. Purchase price and depreciation are about double, but running costs may well come close to filling that gap.

If all goes well I won't be looking for a replacement for a while yet so worth keeping a more careful eye out I suspect.....
By Flyin'Dutch'
skydriller wrote:10k buys alot of dino juice... fag packet 80-90 Thousand miles worth?

The like for like comparison for the same car same leasing but with an ICE is €24 per month on the lease that would be saved by getting the ICE.

As written above I save way more than that in go-juice, tax, benefit in kind, pre-departure climatisation and the petrol one would be a manual,

So a no-brainer to go for the electric one.
Paultheparaglider wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:I've just completed my Tesla 3 2 yearly service.

Feel free to use the term biennial. We won't think it means you have to service your car every six months. We are a flyer forum after all. :wink:

I had brain fade and typed Biannual first and decided to make it easy for me :D
Rob P, Rjk983, Charles Hunt liked this
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:I think Rob should really declare his interest here. Being a professional extractor of dino juice from sandy places, he would say that, wouldn't he?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob P

I've been involved with Geothermal Projects... 8)

However, I do think that EVs are still a niche product (like a sportscar is), hence gaining acceptance in the highly developed eco-self critical European market by those who feel guilty about their wealth and can afford to buy them at inflated prices... :wink:

Most of the rest of the world is just trying to get by, without the naval gazing.

Regards, SD..
Rob P, eltonioni, AndyR and 2 others liked this
We bought a mini recently.

We’d have bought an electric one, but we already have one mortgage.

The thing I’m finding about electric cars is cost.

My 17 year old nephew is learning to drive, and he’s thinking of his first car.

When we do stop making ICE, what will the 17 year olds drive?

Will cars become a luxury item, owned by a few?

Thinking about it, that really fixes all the problems at once. (as long as we invest properly in public transport)

Works for the environment lobby, don’t need many charging stations, roads become less busy (less pollution), less making horrid rubber tyres, less energy consumption.

What’s not to like.

At the moment the rich have personal helicopters, they will be the only ones who have cars too.

I can’t see it going any other way.

We talk about our next mini bring electric, but will we be rich enough though?

It’s a massive block, and it’s the one that no one is even considering. It’s all “get an electric car”, but no one is making it actually possible.

(just looked up what a Nissan Leaf costs.
£28k)
The costs are comparable.

The considerable savings in running cost are counterbalanced by the increased capital cost at purchase time.

But we are around ten years into mass market EV. A first-generation Leaf can be had for five or six thousand. Not a hugely desirable car today, but an indicator that affordable EV will happen.

Meanwhile pcp and other lease options make the more expensive EV accessible. The monthly cost might look high compared to an ICE equivalent, but are far more affordable when not laying out sixty or seventy quid every time you fill the tank.

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
Cessna571 wrote:When we do stop making ICE, what will the 17 year olds drive?

I must have missed the legislation which compels 17yr olds to have cars. :wink: Anyway, fact is not many 17yr olds finance their own cars, so I don't believe the question exists.

That said there is a significantly higher percentage of the young population driving their own cars than ever before AND by and large they are newer. Fact is they have a different attitude to money and are likely to focus on the monthly cost of the pcp. Additionally the electric price won't remain as high. :D
Rob P, Colonel Panic liked this
Cessna571 wrote:When we do stop making ICE, what will the 17 year olds drive?

I think the main thing learner drivers are going to face fairly soon is "what is the point of learning to use a clutch". It is such a comparatively fiendish thing to master, and whilst the good old slush box never completely got rid of the manual gearbox, EVs most definitely will.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:The costs are comparable.

The considerable savings in running cost are counterbalanced by the increased capital cost at purchase time.

Only while driving electricity isn't taxed as such. When the tax/road pricing comes in, running costs will be back to where they were with the addition of the extra capital cost.

Of course someone may have produced a cheap and powerful battery by then...

But I'm not holding my breath.
AndyR liked this