For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just got back from a small family gathering in the wood. Took the Subaru and drove it into the wood and unloaded picnic stuff. I need an EV that can do that and go to the Alps in winter and drive from Gloucester to Burgundy with a couple of short stops. I fear I may be waiting a while yet....
By skydriller
Good friend if mine has just bought a honda "hybrid"...

He was showing off how it drives itself and he doesnt need to have his hands on the wheel for a few minutes until it squawks at him to put his hands on the wheel... Has way less poke than the 2007 X5 I sold in 2013/14... big thing I noticed was there were no "mechanical levers" just buttons - mostly on a screen... hmmm... :|

I think Im getting old. I want to "do stuff" when Im driving... :mrgreen:

Regards, SD..
By johnm
As I have mentioned before neighbour's Lexus Hybrid has worse fuel consumption than the Subaru so I don't think that route has anything to recommend it :(
johnm wrote:I need an EV that can ... drive from Gloucester to Burgundy with a couple of short stops.

As a matter of interest how many times have you needed that ability in the last two years?

Rob P
By AndyR
Much to the horror of the EV evangelists I’ve replaced my car with......another ICE model. Couldn’t find any suitable alternative that will suit my 130 mile commute combined with a degree of comfort, load carrying ability and space. However, I did look.

At least this one has a 730 mile range from full should I feel the need to do a non stop run to northern Scotland. Or southern France :wink: :whistle:

On a positive note for EVs, it is really impressive how this sector has improved since I last looked just over 2 years ago. I’m pretty certain this will be my last ICE purchase.
By johnm
Rob P wrote:
johnm wrote:I need an EV that can ... drive from Gloucester to Burgundy with a couple of short stops.

As a matter of interest how many times have you needed that ability in the last two years?

Rob P

The last two years zero, but normally 2 or 3 times a year and similar trips elsewhere e.g. the Lakes or Scotland another 3 or 4.

We're the sort of folk who, in normal times, would go on the spur of the moment. e.g. decide at 0700 and be on the road 0900.
johnm wrote:Yes my flying machine does all I want it to do ...

I am impressed; mine didn't as I really wanted one that had floats, had had fixed gear for financial reasons, had retractable gear for speed, short field take-off, high wings for scenery, low wings for better looks, high wing loading for a smoother ride in turbulence, and an open cockpit for sunny days.

But then like my car, I had to compromise and get something that suited me most of the time.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
@Colonel Panic Our aeroplane takes off, lands and travels IFR or VFR and is mostly reasonably comfy so I'm content.

My main issue with EV at this point is that it takes longer to charge than fill a tank with petrol and I'd find that a bit frustrating on a long trip. If we get to the point where charging can be done in the time it takes to fill the tank, park, have a pee and eat a sandwich and drink a coffee then it becomes a realistic proposition and in fairness I suspect we're already seeing that getting closer to reality.
By Flyin'Dutch'
As the good @Colonel Panic has so eloquently stated, cars are compromises as are our aeroplanes.

For 2 car households there is a vast number of options to have an EV, for those who require only one car EVs are an option but this will require a greater financial outlay than an ICE car.

Vis a vis filling up. I have spent way less time 'refuelling' my EV over the past 2 years than I would have had to do with an ICE.
johnm wrote:My main issue with EV at this point is that it takes longer to charge than fill a tank with petrol and I'd find that a bit frustrating on a long trip.

At the risk of denting a brick wall with my head, a trip from deepest darkest Mid Sussex to Edinburgh (443 miles) would require two stops (Keele, 21 mins) and Gretna Green, 9 mins). Not exactly arduous, and I'd DEFFO need to stop for longer for a pee, coffee & food anyway.

But as Bill in Scotland & AndyR in Sussex have realised, and EV isn't for everyone.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By stevelup
John, that's one of the misunderstandings about running an EV.

If you add up all the time you spend refuelling an ICE throughout the year, it'll be a lot more than the occasional EV charge on those longer journeys.

I have charged away from home just once in the past six months. I was going to the petrol station every 8/9 days before that.

Also, the EV charging is an unattended process. You plug in, then go inside and go to the loo / grab a bite to eat and so on.

Not really comparable.