For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:moreover, the challenge in establishing that infrastructure.

I'm sure the same thing was said in the 1910/20s about the requirements for petrol stations. Same for infrastructure for the new aircraft industry. Didn't take long.

If there's money to be made by someone, somewhere then the infrastructure will follow.

Edit to add factoid:

First petrol pump in the UK in was in 1919. Four years later in 1923 there were 7,000.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ng-station
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sorry to "re-raise" the charge lead issue, but I seem to be able to purchase a Type 1 to Type 2 cable and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable.

Now I am fairly sure the Leaf has a type 2 plug, but I have only ever used the Chademo, the 13Amp brick, or my home charger that just has one plug on the end that goes into the car.

My question is " what type of connector do the charge points have that you might want to use at Ikea, or Lidles etc" ?

Thankyou
Last edited by Flying_john on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole purpose of petrol pumps now is to get the punters into the M&S food shops, for the station owners EVs will do it even better as people will spend more time in the shop or buying coffee :D
2017-10-18

Today, Shell announces the opening of Shell Recharge – the new on-forecourt Electric Vehicle (EV) rapid charging service. Shell Recharge is now available at Shell Holloway (London), Shell Whyteleafe (Surrey) and Shell Derby, and will be launched at a further seven locations within Greater London and Reading by the end of the year.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flying_john
So drove to the O2 today for an event and tried to use the Chademo fast charger for the leaf. But it said error on the screen of the charger, tried a couple of times to no avail.

But there was a row of other slow charge pods and as I just invested in a charge lead thought great.

BUT, they needed a card/tag of somesort to open the pod charge flap. So I was beaten but not wanting to hit this snag again does anyone know what I need to do to be able to recharge at the O2.

It was an opportunity charge and had enough Joules to get home.
By JonathanB
riverrock - you've linked to chargers at the O2 offices in Slough! ;)

The ones at the O2 in the North Greenwich NCP car park are Source London: https://www.zap-map.com/pts/0sjrp5k/ https://www.sourcelondon.net/

The single CHAdeMO at the O2 car park 1 looks like it's been broken for ages: https://www.zap-map.com/pts/95hrmyv/
By riverrock
lol @Flying_john didn't say which O2 - I wondered how long it would take before someone noticed ;)
I was going to link to one of the O2 venues in Glasgow, but one burnt down recently, so I decided it wouldn't be useful...

As you just said (did you edit your post to include?) there is an NCP carpark beside Grenwich station, which has 4 working points operated via Source London although not free.
By Flying_john
Thanks for the info guys, I have two apps on my phone, but still not sure how you actually unlock the flap to pug in your charge lead.

Is it a nationwide snag that you have to have a plethora of different Apps and subs to make use of the various charge systems.

I'm just thankfull I didnt have to drive a long way to get there and then to find I couldnt charge to get home.

I also had no idea there was more than one O2. I thought THE O2 was Greenwich, so have learned something too.

Going to try a trip to Brighton next week to take SWMBO up on the i360, that should be fun, but I understand they have open source charge points so hopefully wont have to eek out the charge from Pease Pottage on the way down,
By JonathanB
THE O2 is the old Millennium Dome. There are other O2 venues as well, but I think the one originally listed was O2's UK offices! ;)

I generally use ZapMap and occasionally PlugShare when I'm checking things out. ZapMap definitely gives you info on which network and what the billing is for each charger.
By nallen
Should you find yourself needing electrical replenishment near the (or THE) O2 in the future, note that IKEA are opening a store on the Greenwich peninsula in early 2019, and will have chargers.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flying_john wrote:
Is it a nationwide snag that you have to have a plethora of different Apps and subs to make use of the various charge systems.

No doubt this will get sorted some time soon but it is ridiculous that there are a plethora of cables and systems (to be fair I get the impression there are only two) but a myriad of providers each with their own app or card which is proprietary to their particular system.

Bonkers.

We all carry with us cards which can be used to pay for most things - why the urge for these folks to invent their own card/system?

First one to use normal cards/applepay/contactless is going to win the market of course.
Most use apps (including Pod). You should also be able plug straight into a PodPoint and get the first 15 mins going without authenticating - maybe something else was going on.

I carry a Polar RFID card - it covers a lot of points. One network simply added my RFID card to their network to save carrying another card. Different network, but they can use the card for ID.

Help lines tend to be very good if you have any problems.

Type-2 seems to be the common standard - it is only 7kW, but can pump around 30 miles per hour connected on my Leaf.

The rapid chargers come in different connection flavours and most pumps accommodate multiple types. Rapid chargers are what you tend to find on the motorways and at hotels near motrway junctions (also at Lidl, where they are free to use). I get about 4 miles per minute of charge on a rapid charger - so by the time I’ve had a coffee and burger then I typically add around 100 miles of range, which is plenty when I start the day with 160+ range.

I avoid the motorway chargers unless I really want the convenience. They cost around 7p per mile and there are a lot of free alternatives around. All options are still a lot cheaper than piston engine fuel (although I confess that I’ve not checked the price of coal).