For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:4.5 miles long! :shock: That's mind boggling.

<continuing drift :oops: >

There are a couple of spiral (with open air arcs) sloping tunnels on the main railway through the Canadian Rockies on the BC side, to enable not too steep a slope between the mountain pass and the coastal plain. From the right spot on the road (where there is a viewing area car park for the purpose) one can see the long freight train pass over itself twice in the open arcs, ie the same train in 3 vertical levels. It's impressive, especially if one can catch (as we did) a slow uphill one. :)

</>
Last edited by kanga on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifth Gear. Now in its fourth or fifth existence. The zombie programme that will not die.

And I believe still with Ms Butler-Henderson.

Always was better than Top Gear if you were interested in cars as opposed to egos.

Rob P
Interesting to see how Octopus are choosing to charge my car now that I am on their beta of Intelligent Octopus tariff, where the previous 5p/kW rate between 00:30 - 04:30 is replaced by 5p between 23:30 - 05:30 (IIRC) & they choose when to charge the car. Helps them smooth demand etc.

Last night - and this is fairly typical over the past couple of weeks - is three charging sessions, bringing the car back up to "80% before 07:30", which is what I have set in the app.

Quite neat really ...

NB: The "Charge Cost" values are incorrect - they should all be (& are billed at) @ 5p/kWh

By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Changing the subject slightly .. touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel. They seem like a bad idea to me.

When I'm on a longish stretch on a major road or mororway, I'll shift the position of my hands and fingers around the wheel, but inadvertantly adjusting the cruise speed, or changing radio stations, or buggering around with the instrument display is the last thing I'd want just 'cos I'm trying to avoid a bit of cramp in the forearm.

I'm a bit of a VW devotee, so I'm naturally going to be looking at their range when the time comes to swap out the trusty Tig, but at least two of their EV/Hybrid models now have these things.

Views, experiences?
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By riverrock
Probably best to not wear gloves then! Or if you wear those conductive gloves, make sure they are clean (the last few pairs of conductive gloves I've had, to use with phone screens have stopped working after a fairly short time).

On the charging, my Zoe heats (or cools!) the batteries to protect them and make them more efficient during charging. Does the Leaf do that (my memory is not - hence their batteries don't last as long as others)?
I'd have thought that starting / stopping multiple times would allow the battery to cool again, so reducing charging efficiency. Different if fast charging (where batteries often need charged more slowly to protect them once they get full. so a break might help) but few people have the fast charging infrastructure at home.
GrahamB wrote:Changing the subject slightly .. touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel. They seem like a bad idea to me.

When I'm on a longish stretch on a major road or mororway, I'll shift the position of my hands and fingers around the wheel, but inadvertantly adjusting the cruise speed, or changing radio stations, or buggering around with the instrument display is the last thing I'd want just 'cos I'm trying to avoid a but of cramp in the forearm.

I'm a bit of a VW devotee, so I'm naturally going to be looking at their range when the time comes to swap out the trusty Tig, but at least two of their EV/Hybrid models now have these things.

Views, experiences?

Got them on my ID.3. No problems, just a little illogical in their layout. I don’t go near them accidentally, holding the wheel rim as I do, not the spokes.
GrahamB liked this
riverrock wrote:On the charging, my Zoe heats (or cools!) the batteries to protect them and make them more efficient during charging. Does the Leaf do that (my memory is not - hence their batteries don't last as long as others)?

Not sure whether that was aimed at me or not, but the Tesla does pre-heat the battery if the satnav destination is a Supercharger, to enable faster charging, but not for a home wall charger. The "Efficiency" value always changes in my stats, but I can't work out what causes it - whether charge duration, battery SOC, OAT etc.
riverrock wrote:Does the Leaf do that (my memory is not - hence their batteries don't last as long as others)?

I'm a bit out of the loop but a swift Google shows that whilst the Leaf has been passive cooling only, the Nissan LCV using Leaf-derived battery pack has moved to an active air system.

Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
(BTW got an E-UP as I am a tight wad!)

I thought they only sold those to Yorkshire folk . :lol:

Remember that just South of Yorkshire is Lincolnshire, one of whose historical Ridings is called Holland, and there's a 'New Holland' on the Humber Estuary. Perhaps the cultures have partly fused .. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_Holland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Holland,_Lincolnshire
mick w liked this
By nallen
I've got an EV for a day's test drive tomorrow -- do I have to register with charge point companies if I want to top up, or can I just rock up to a charger with a bank card?