For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I can't see the picture, but I am guessing that plugging into a wind turbine with a group of EV geeks beats listening to opera any time.

Rob P
CloudHound wrote:
> First thing we Brits do is form a club!
>
> ..

is not, traditionally, the second thing to split rancorously into two rival clubs ? :wink:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61310513

"Will swapping out electric car batteries catch on?"

Chinese electric car company pioneering battery swap station in Norway

'..Without even a touch of the steering wheel, the electric car reverses autonomously into the recharging station.

..the battery is automatically removed from underneath the vehicle and replaced with a fully- charged one.

In less than five minutes, I'm ready to go again ..'

'.. station can handle up to 240 swaps a day, and the firm plans to create 20 here in Norway ...'

'.. According to Norway's Road Traffic Information Council, 83% of all new cars sold from January to March this year were fully electric, while only 6% had diesel or petrol engines ...'
The mind boggles at the regulatory hurdles facing millions of tonnes of detachable lithium batteries slung under the vehicles hurtling around the UK's roads.

"... what was that clunk, Mildred?"
A cursory Google reveals that NIO has a TUV approval for Europe. But this is only for NIO and to be honest, I didn't know that NIO was actually a Chinese car maker, not a charging technology company so you'd need to buy into the whole company vehicle ecosystem not just to rock up at Leicester Forest South for a quick battery swap for the ZOE. Others - including Tesla - have tried the concept and ditched it so make of that what you will.

Shell seem to be involved somewhere too, but they have loads of spare cash to splash on new ideas that might fail.

"Mildred... Mildred have you ever heard of NIO?"
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61310513

"Will swapping out electric car batteries catch on?"

Chinese electric car company pioneering battery swap station in Norway

'..Without even a touch of the steering wheel, the electric car reverses autonomously into the recharging station.

..the battery is automatically removed from underneath the vehicle and replaced with a fully- charged one.

In less than five minutes, I'm ready to go again ..'

'.. station can handle up to 240 swaps a day, and the firm plans to create 20 here in Norway ...'

'.. According to Norway's Road Traffic Information Council, 83% of all new cars sold from January to March this year were fully electric, while only 6% had diesel or petrol engines ...'

As charging and battery technology continues to improve I think it will negate the need for battery swapping. 350 kw chargers already exist although very few batteries can use this at present but when batteries that can use these high charge rates are more common place then I think. the time to recharge will be found to be quite acceptable. A quick 'fag packet' calculation ... 4 miles per kWh appears to be an achievable level of performance, so 200 miles range is 50 kW of charge. A 350kW charger will deliver 50 kW of charge in less than 9 minutes, to me that sounds quite acceptable.
I think the market for this will be quite limited, the vast majority don't need such rapid recharging for day to day use, and paying a premium for this facility would be pointless.
It seems an attempt by NIO to differentiate themselves by tapping in to the " I want to replicate the petrol/diesel experience" .
Time will tell :D
Incidentally my wife is digging out her Sainsbury vouchers so she can save 6p/litre, my Tesla is now fully charged after I plugged in last night.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:I bought a lovely new camping gaz cylinder once. Refill was a swap system. Got a manky, rusty one.
I know my battery’s history thank you.

Shoulda gone 'Calor':

My Calor refills are pristine and delivered to my door.

(Main Calor depot for E Anglia's a mile up the road). :wink:
Jim Jones liked this
avtur3 wrote:
As charging and battery technology continues to improve I think it will negate the need for battery swapping. 350 kw chargers already exist although very few batteries can use this at present but when batteries that can use these high charge rates are more common place then I think. the time to recharge will be found to be quite acceptable. A quick 'fag packet' calculation ... 4 miles per kWh appears to be an achievable level of performance, so 200 miles range is 50 kW of charge. A 350kW charger will deliver 50 kW of charge in less than 9 minutes, to me that sounds quite acceptable.

Battery charging rate slows as they reach higher % charge, so much so that the 80-100% takes as long as the 20-80%. To do otherwise shortens battery life. Early Leafs suffered from this, especially if a lot of high speed charging was used.
If this can be solved we’re home and dry.
Tesla have opened up some Superchargers to other makes.
ANNOUNCEMENT: OPENING OF 15 SUPERCHARGER SITES TO 3RD PARTIES THREAD
As of 1pm today (18th May) 15 of the 112 UK Supercharger Sites will open to third party cars to access.
Non-Tesla EV owners will use the Tesla app to initiate a charge and will pay more per kWh than Tesla owners unless they pay an additional monthly £10.99 fee to gain access to the lower charge prices.
The Tesla find us map shows the sites (Aviemore, Dundee, Adderstone, Manchester Trafford Centre, Flint, Aberystwyth, Banbury, Wyboston, Trumpington, Thetford, Wokingham, Uxbridge, Grays & Folkestone Eurotunnel): https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus?v=2&redirect=no...
Non-Tesla owners blocking bays causing Tesla owners to wait hasn't happened to date across the test sites in Netherlands, France and Norway (as confirmed by other Tesla owners club we've spoken with + Tesla themselves) we hope this continues in the UK trials.
Tesla has reassured us that the expansion of the supercharger network is continuing to accelerate in line with the promise of the tripling of the supercharger network within the next ~1.5 years as referenced earlier this year.
Tesla has been thankful to all owners/members for your continued feedback and encourages this to continue, we know staff will be monitoring this thread and many more over the coming days/weeks/months.
We hope other owners of other brands follow the in-app teachings to ensure a speedy charge when they arrive at a supercharger and ideally follow what most Tesla owners do etiquette wise (as per https://teslaowners.org.uk/kb/tesla-charging-etiquette).
More answers to your questions should be found on https://teslaowners.org.uk/.../FAQ-Supe ... g-Owners... and https://www.tesla.com/.../support/non-t ... charging...