For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The cynic in me says that every auto-factor in the country keeps L.A. batteries in stock. 50 years ago, I had an alarm-system on the company car. It was operated by a key-switch fitted to the external body-panels. There is no obvious reason (other than cost) why the dashboard "reset" could not be so- fitted.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@Jim Jones there must be something possible more cleverly than having to lump a poxy 12V battery around. It is not as though that needs a lot of power anyway, no heavy diesel to crank.

A Li-ion battery would be better, smaller, lighter, agreed. Maybe even use solar to keep it topped up.
I understand that it is perfectly possible, but even at the height of summer they would only add a few miles to the available range so are hardly worth the expense and weight of fitting them.

Some brands do have the option of solar panels to recharge the 12v.

Rob P
TravellerBob liked this
By riverrock
Because the amount of energy brought in by a solar panel able to fit on a car roof would be negligible compared to the energy contained in the traction batteries.

The electronics and transformer (up to 400V) in my Zoe are designed to be most efficient when getting 32A / 240V ( over 90% charging efficiency). At 10A/240V it's down to 70%. It uses more than 250W keeping its systems running and if battery cooling required, HVAC uses at least 1KW.
You might get 500W from a roof covering solar panel? So that would be 250W going into the battery ( assuming no cooling). So it would need 160hrs of sunlight to fill the battery - so what, 13 days with 12hrs of sunlight? Then the have the extra weight to carry along.
By stevelup
That's because that particular system was engineered for that sweetspot.

You'd have a different inverter that was optimised for the input voltage from solar - no reason that couldn't be >90% efficient and I doubt the batteries would need active cooling at such low charge rates.

But the rest of your point remains - even with the whole roof covered, you're not going to get much.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
I only asked because I recall school projects involving solar powered vehicles. And that was 30years ago, so surely the tech must have evolved, yet we dont see solar panels on vehicles today.
By Flyin'Dutch'
skydriller wrote:I only asked because I recall school projects involving solar powered vehicles. And that was 30years ago, so surely the tech must have evolved, yet we dont see solar panels on vehicles today.

Those vehicles - IIRC were extremely flimsy and light and going at only just more than pedestrian pace.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Backt to our meteorology classes for the PPL, the earth is hit by about 2kW of solar energy per square meter.

You remember that! :shock: Next you'll be telling us that you know all the different clouds.