For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
skydriller wrote:Does anyone seriously think the current EV tax breaks can continue for more than a couple more years? Especially what with recent ongoing spending?

EV take up is still a relatively small proportion so I think taxing polluters will be increased first to maintain the revenue. Eventually that will start to decrease so then road pricing will come in based on demand, so it may cost 25p/mile to be on the M25 at 0800....
Reports in the paper today that London SUV drivers are selling to the country and buying electric to avoid the OLEZ charge each day.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote:Does anyone seriously think the current EV tax breaks can continue for more than a couple more years? Especially what with recent ongoing spending?

It is already reducing gradually, with a view to phasing out.
2011 - £5000
2015 - £4500
2018 - £3500
2020 - £3000
It's still a classic displacement problem though. The real problem is not so much the wrong kind of cars, as too many cars.

There is a very human sense of entitlement going on to devote endless resources, time, energy, and hard cash to building more places for vehicles to be stored is off the scale madness, but that's what we do in order to have the convenience of a personal vehicle parked outside our home 80% of its life to be parked outside a shop / workplace / venue / etc for the other 9% of its life.

A parking space tax is surely on the way very soon.
cjrpaterson liked this
eltonioni wrote:..

A parking space tax is surely on the way very soon.

This has already been implemented in effect by some UK LAs giving planning permission for new workplaces: permission is contingent on there being fewer parking spaces than employees and on business owner providing bike sheds and marked cycle lanes within the site, and also ensuring (by subsidy to 'bus company if necessary, at least at start) new or high(er) capacity 'bus routes at commuting times from major dormitory areas (or P&R sites). Employers were encouraged to implement (and administer) 'car-share' schemes. Locally, near some new business premises, this has resulted in (usually legal but still resented!) parking by commuters in nearby residential streets, which has in turn provoked occasional vandalism. :?

In DoD in '80s, all parking spaces near the entrances were reserved for 'car pools' (people from same dormitory suburbs who'd arranged to share rides), the closest being for 'van pools' (co-operatively-owned minibuses), then 3-person pools, with the 2-person pools' areas being even further out. There were limited numbers of non-pool areas, given the huge numbers of employees, and to get a place in any of these required arriving VERY early and taking a chance; and then requiring a LONG walk (in potentially hot and humid, or occasionally very cold, weather). This was in an area where except in downtown DC 'public transport' ('buses and Metro) was very poor, and a society dominated by the motor car. This last meant that commuting by pedal bike was hazardous, as US drivers simply weren't used to sharing the road with them, and there were no 'cycle paths' parallelling roads; one of my UK colleagues, a keen cycle commuter at home, tried it one day; 'never again,' he decided. Motorbikes (usually big!) were popular, though, especially with the young military, and sheds were provided. Oh, and 'parking violations' on DoD land were a Federal offence; usually only a 'misdemeanour' with an instant fine, but reportable to the Government as employer, with potential further internal disciplinary sanctions.

In Canada in '80s, Federal employees provided with parking spaces at workplace in areas where local day parking is commercial were required to pay their employing Department a daily rate no less than the nearest commercial rate; this revenue is then passed to local 'bus operator as subsidy. In Ottawa, with lots of Federal offices, this was pricy for employees in more suburban area of the city, and VERY pricy for those in downtown ones. But the 'buses were excellent and cheap :) There were also cycle paths avoiding roads or connecting the 'dead ends' of culs-de-sac. It was also feasible to commute by canal (canoe or skates according to season), as several of my colleagues did :wink: I biked in summer and 'bussed in winter, and enjoyed it.
@kanga Nottingham is probably the most famous example and it has had some success with its workplace parking levy. It isn't perfect but it is also backed up with a tram system and a relatively long social history of cycle use, being the home of Raleigh.

However a vehicle is powered, it takes up space and every vehicle and motorist is massively (MASSIVELY) subsidised by each and every taxpayer. We all know how most journeys are less than a couple of miles - active travel is the buzzphrase these days. We really do have to take people out of their vehicles at every opportunity instead of applying the warming salve that EVs are an environmental and socially responsible solution.

The truth is that EVs are mere greenwash and an opportunity to tax and while ever we like having dry hair and a warm bum we'll be suckers for handing over outrageous sums to governments national and local for the privilege. Unfortunately, the non-suckers who get wet hair and a cold ass still have to subsidise the habitual lardarrises.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I worked for one company that charged £5 / day for parking on Company premises.

My hourly rate that I charged went up by £1/ hour to cover this extra cost. The only one to gain was HMG since they collected extra tax and I got a small rise into the bargain.

What is often overlooked in all these grand schemes dreamt up in some ivory tower in Whitehall is that ultimately its the customer that pays. Another fine example of meddling is EICR (Electrical Safety checks for rented property) and EPC's.

Who ultimately pays, why the poor tenant, who else. Typically adds £5/week to small apartment rental charges.

Not much I agree to Sky Gods, but for someone on minimum wage struggling to feed his family, can make all the difference.
eltonioni, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:From one environmental problem to another... :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56574779

Given the change in car recycling over the last 15 years, from a pile of leaking rusty junk to a dismantling and re-purposing service, I think the economics of battery repurposing (as power walls) and recycling will ensure this will not be a problem in 10 years time
Colonel Panic wrote:One has to be a total dork to even want to "fool" Tesla's Autopilot. ...

Investigation reportedly confirms that autopilot not fitted, let alone activated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57072778
Rumours in the press that Musk has just spent a couple of days in the UK on the lookout for a new car / battery factory. Apparently HMG had regeneration agencies running around at 48hours notice to propose sites.