For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
riverrock wrote:I'm taking efficiency to be energy put into driving / energy taken from the grid

I was meaning more the difference from what the car says it draws from the grid and what gets put in to the battery. But your comments are still very helpful.

The bit that Tesla doesn't tell you about is that their cars are always "on" and connected by default - even when parked. People complain that their overall efficiency ends up around 70% as it sits parked eating up 240W of power staying connected to the world.

Haven’t followed that level no yet but I’d have liked to think that the fact that the car goes to sleep often would significantly reduce the “phantom drain “ figure.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What I want to know is how the heck a Tesla consumes 240W continuously remaining 'connected' when a smartphone manages with milliwatts and is doing a hell of a lot more.

It's either shockingly inefficient, or the above figure can't possibly be right.
By riverrock
stevelup wrote:What I want to know is how the heck a Tesla consumes 240W continuously remaining 'connected' when a smartphone manages with milliwatts and is doing a hell of a lot more.

It's either shockingly inefficient, or the above figure can't possibly be right.

Apparently it depends on the software version installed in the Tesla - later versions are apparently a bit better (but still consume more than other brands).
What in earlier software versions, when various "apps" would regularly request information from the car, the car would ensure all systems were running to provide that information (so equivalent level of readiness as ignition being on). Therefore the cars would never enter a sleep state.

Later versions apparently don't keep the car as awake - not all systems get powered up, so the car doesn't use as much power. Its still the equivalent of driving several miles a day though!
By JonathanB
Are there any airport parking places that offer car charging yet? I guess they won't be the self-park type...
there are two charging points in the multi-storey at Luton
only limited time allowed though
not sure how that works if you're away on a trip!
By Rob P
I spent twenty minutes or so in a coffee store on Santa Monica Boulevard on Tuesday. Noticing a couple of Tesla driving by I started counting them, winding up at around fourteen. They do seem to have established a fair old foothold there.

None the less, you still couldn't see Malibu clearly from Santa Monica pier.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
The advent to larger capacity batteries will no doubt mean that charge times are getting a lot longer.

I note that BMW quote for the first generation i3 a charging time from empty to full of something like 6-8 hours. Does that mean that with the latest iteration people would have to charge for 12-16 hours.

Hardly practical I think?

Do people install home charge points when they have 380-400V and 32A?

Has anyone here experience with same?
You would only have to charge for 16 hours (or whatever - I don't know the figures - if you were driving the vehicle to its maximum range (160-200 miles) every day. The i3 would be a very odd choice of vehicle for somebody with that use profile.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
The only choice for someone with that regular mileage requirement would therefore be a Tesla in your view?

Surely they (BMW/NIssan) must think that there is a group of people out there who drive every day 100 miles or so with their jalopies otherwise they would not have bothered with the ever larger batteries and wall boxes etc.

After all most people don't do more than 20-30 miles per day on most days.
Marketing departments within these companies know that range anxiety is one of the two major factors that needs to be addressed to enlarge the market for EVs, So they are all working to provide far more range than the average user will ever need on 360-364 days of the year.

Rob P