For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
There was a quite good "Should I buy an EV" show on the haunted fishtank this week, the most striking thing being the simple statement along the lines of "It's no longer 'Should I buy an EV? ' as soon you will have no choice. It's more 'When should I buy an EV?'"

The Oxford experiment of a simple metal channel routed into the pavement to hold the charging cable for people without driveways looked promising.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Rob P wrote:
> There was a quite good "Should I buy an EV" show on the haunted
> fishtank this week, the most striking thing being the simple statement
> along the lines of "It's no longer 'Should I buy an EV? ' as soon you
> will have no choice. It's more 'When should I buy an EV?'"
>
> The Oxford experiment of a simple metal channel routed into the pavement to
> hold the charging cable for people without driveways looked promising.
>
> Rob P

Hadn’t done his homework and prob90 didn’t even read the car manual. However he’s right, and the minister needs to do more than just promise improving the infrastructure and publish quality standards that will be enforced.
Absolutely. His inability to master the procedures to charge the car were pure TV. Call me a cynic, but the comparison with the Shell (?) dedicated EV filling station at the end might just lead one to wonder who funded the show.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Why's it the Government's problem? EVs are still a choice. People without charging facilities shouldn't expect HMG to solve their mobility crisis brought about by their own life decisions.

Anyway, this is an nice listen.

"How green is switching to an electric car?
Sliced Bread
The latest ad-hyped products and trending fads promise to make us healthier, happier and greener, but are they really 'the best thing since sliced bread'? Greg Foot finds out."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00162yr
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> eltonioni wrote:
> > Why's it the Government's problem?
>
> I think because it's the Government who are banning internal combustion cars which
> have been fine with on-street parking for over a hundred years.

Huh? The government hasn't banned them. :scratch:

More generally, perhaps everyone who has a car should have a place to park it too. Then we could return streets to how they were 100 years ago instead of having them littered with private property.
eltonioni wrote:
> Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> > eltonioni wrote:
> >..
> >
> > I think because it's the Government who are banning internal combustion cars..
>
> Huh? The government hasn't banned them. :scratch:
>
> More generally, perhaps everyone who has a car should have a place to park it too.
> ..

ISTR that is the regulation in Japan (or in some cities within it): car ownership requires registration at a private address with a demonstrable off-street place to park it.
[usermention=272]@kanga[/usermention] indeed it does. It's an excellent system. We lucky ones with our own cars (only about 60% ) and parking (even fewer) do tend to feel entitled to having roads that are twice the width they need to be just so we can leave our private property in a public place for 95% of it's life without paying a penny towards it. Try leaving anything else in the road and see what happens!

[usermention=1373]@Paul_Sengupta[/usermention] they haven't banned them and its only 2022. Most EVs on the road today will be scrap by then and ICE vehicles will still be perfectly legal.

I have a very, very tiny violin for anyone who really believes that it's the government's fault that some people choose an EV that they can't charge.
No hi viz innit ;)

This minor deadly problem will be solved when everything and everyone is chipped so the vehicle can 'see' them.

Why the heck are we sleepwalking into dystopia so stupid people can get fatter and lazier just so that Elon Musk can get richer and crazier?
PeteSpencer liked this