For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
VRB_20kt wrote:An Ami that would do a bit over 70mph would be a very attractive proposition.

The problem with this is that there is always going to be a downside / compromise. Make it go 70mph and it will double the price (c/f Ami vs. Twizzy). Make it go 70 miles and ditto. Make it legal on motorways and ditto.

Instead, make it as cheap as chips and hope that sufficient folk can live with the compromises and you might have a winner. The Fiat 500 isn't the largest most comfortable fastest most stylish or most economical of cars, but it has been a huge success for those that can live with its limitations.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:The Fiat 500 isn't the largest most comfortable fastest most stylish or most economical of cars, but it has been a huge success for those that can live with its limitations

If you're talking about the original, it was popular because it was cheap. A modern equivilent would be the Dacia Duster. It is (or was) really cheap and is a Renault underneath for backup.
By StratoTramp
skydriller wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:The Fiat 500 isn't the largest most comfortable fastest most stylish or most economical of cars, but it has been a huge success for those that can live with its limitations

If you're talking about the original, it was popular because it was cheap. A modern equivilent would be the Dacia Duster. It is (or was) really cheap and is a Renault underneath for backup.

Now theres a car! 8) :lol: Increasing economies of scale and production for the win. Was briefly tempted by that too and then thought Octavia Skoda Estate was about as pipe and slippers as I was prepared to go.

That said in retrospect if I went for the Dacia I would be 14k closer to my plane. I bought the skoda new, shortly before discovering how good value micro-lighting could be and starting to learn. I'm about halfway to 2/3 towards a factory built skyranger (forgetting the waiting list). I will probably end up second hand. Though still have some saving time as I haven't passed yet. There is some joy in cheap motoring and not being worried about people crashing into it or giving you door dents.
RobW liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
I am all for saving money on motoring but after trying a Dacia Duster I thought I'd better steer clear of that.

Very cheap feel and the seats were very uncomfortable as in not giving any lumbar or sideways support. Reminded me of the lack of comfort generally encountered in American cars.
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I am all for saving money on motoring but after trying a Dacia Duster I thought I'd better steer clear of that. Very cheap feel and the seats were very uncomfortable as in not giving any lumbar or sideways support. Reminded me of the lack of comfort generally encountered in American cars.

No arguement from me with what you say there. However, what are you comparing it to and what do you want it to do?

I had these as hire cars working in Romania around 5-7 yrs ago. Basic inside, no electrics other than a CD player, 105 hp diesel engine with 4WD. We used them to pootle about & get to remote locations on poor east european roads and tracks, Summer and winter - and for that it was brilliant. Ok, so not the most comfortable to drive on a good highway for hours and it didnt like being at anything over 110km/hr either. But if I needed a 4WD runabout to accompany my big boys toy, Id have one - out here in rural France they are really popular.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
BBC article on 'classic' cars being converted to EV using motors and batteries from written-off Teslas etc; with gripe that they are not getting same tax breaks or grants as new-build EVs despite being a greater 'recycling' contributor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58578061
By StratoTramp
kanga wrote:BBC article on 'classic' cars being converted to EV using motors and batteries from written-off Teslas etc; with gripe that they are not getting same tax breaks or grants as new-build EVs despite being a greater 'recycling' contributor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58578061

Part of me thinks noooo keep the old engine (at least for the American one!) But other part things great if it gives them a new in lease of life.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Backt to our meteorology classes for the PPL, the earth is hit by about 2kW of solar energy per square meter.

That is why there are no cars with solar panels which extend range in a meaningful manner.

However, another Dutch line of thought on this...

https://news.sky.com/story/dutch-studen ... s-12421144
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
Yeah, OK, its cool that its solar powered...

....but does it have enough space to be filled up with the food&drink&stuff required for a 3000km trip ... I mean everybody in France knows that all Dutch tourists come down here on holiday with cars & campers loaded to the brim with all their stuff from home... :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this