For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I have seen no mention in this thread nor in the somewhat related Tesla one of any Forumite who, spending their own money when choosing a vehicle in recent years, has opted for EV or hybrid (possibly not as the only car in a household), and then after some experience of ownership or lease thereof has gone back to an ICE to replace it. Are there any who will choose to mention that they have ? Or know of others who have ? If there are none, that impresses me. I do know of people, eg JAM colleagues, who are on their second or later EV, often with brand loyalty eg a later Leaf or Prius or Zoe replacing an earlier one.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm on my 5th EV and want to get the 6th one and am looking for the best deal around. All privately funded, starting with the Lucas Bedford CF from 1985, through 2 x Citroen Berlingos and 2 "leaves" and would not go back to an Infernal Combustion Engine powered car.
kanga liked this
By skydriller
kanga wrote:I have seen no mention in this thread nor in the somewhat related Tesla one of any Forumite who, spending their own money when choosing a vehicle in recent years, has opted for EV or hybrid (possibly not as the only car in a household), and then after some experience of ownership or lease thereof has gone back to an ICE to replace it. Are there any who will choose to mention that they have ? Or know of others who have ? If there are none, that impresses me. I do know of people, eg JAM colleagues, who are on their second or later EV, often with brand loyalty eg a later Leaf or Prius or Zoe replacing an earlier one.

Id be more interested to know if the EV is the ONLY vehicle in the family. It seems to me that many have an EV and at least one other vehicle.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flying_john
Wife has always had a car irrespective of EV ownership in our family.

What is interesting (for me) is that a New Leaf RRP £30995, I am able to buy from "360 Vehicles" a company that does both leasing and outright sales the same model for £22500. Even with discounts the best quote up until then was £26,000.

How on earth are the dealers still in business ?????
By nallen
skydriller wrote:Id be more interested to know if the EV is the ONLY vehicle in the family. It seems to me that many have an EV and at least one other vehicle.

I know someone whose first car is a Tesla Model S, and whose other car is a … Leaf.
Mr Bags wrote:
kanga wrote:Gloucestershire Constabulary has been using Leafs for some time; now getting lots more:

Special Branch?

:)

.. but no; commonly seen with uniformed Constable on routine duties around town.
By Flying_john
Changing the topic slightly - I feel the need to get the message out that NISSAN have changed their policy of allowing you to charge at the dealerships.

How do I know ?

Well I turned up at MOTORLINE in my Leaf as I was looking at a 2nd hand Juke car for my wife. Bit low on range on the leaf I plugged into the Chademo fast charger.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was for THEIR customers only and they would not allow me to charge. I questioned the "Sales director"! -who said they had received a memo addressed to all dealerships from NISSAN that it was at the dealers discretion on who to allow to charge - and was for people who bought their cars from them.

I explained that anyone buying a car from them probably lived in Medway and would charge at home, and the point of having the opportunity to fast charge at a dealership was for when you are away from home after a long journey. This appeared to be completely lost on this employee and he stuck to his guns and said customers only.

I even pointed him at the sales blurb that says "nationwide fast chargers available at dealers", but he repeated the mantra, because they were paying for the electricity. I said it costs about a pound for a charge and asked if I could pay - still said no.

Moral of the story - BUY A TESLA !!!
By johnm
CloudHound wrote:You were better than a customer- you were a sales prospect!

Yup, always best to focus on value not cost [/stuckrecord]
By skydriller
Flying_john wrote:Well I turned up at MOTORLINE in my Leaf as I was looking at a 2nd hand Juke car for my wife. Bit low on range on the leaf I plugged into the Chademo fast charger....etc..This appeared to be completely lost on this employee and he stuck to his guns and said customers only.
I even pointed him at the sales blurb that says "nationwide fast chargers available at dealers", but he repeated the mantra, because they were paying for the electricity. I said it costs about a pound for a charge and asked if I could pay - still said no.

So presumably you walked away telling them you would not be buying a car from them after all...??

I remember pitching up at VW to look at a Touareg about 10 years ago. They had their demonstrator sat in front, none in the showroom. When eventually someone came to say hello and I asked to see a Touareg, I was told that no, I couldnt try one because "their demonstrator had just been cleaned because the dealership manager was taking it to the slopes tomorrow morning". I asked if I could just get in and see it properly etc..."no, sorry, come back next week".....Errr, no thanks, I wont come back at all... :roll:

Regards, SD..
CloudHound wrote:You were better than a customer- you were a sales prospect!

Oooh, sent a shudder through me did that statement. :shock:

In one sentence I do believe you have inadvertently explained one of the greatest failings in British business! :wink:
Having just spent 3 months trying to buy a new car and visiting dozens of car dealerships I can confirm the veracity of your statement.

I'll probably start a new thread about the poor quality of car showroom salesmen (and yes no women anywhere to be seen during my visits) once mine is delivered.
Charliesixtysix liked this