For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
It would appear that “one- upmanship” features heavily in a purchase. However, I’m not too worried about getting from A to B - I want to be confident that I can get from B to A again without a hunt around for a vacant charging point at B. I imagine that with an exponential rise in EVs on the roads this may become a problem.
kanga liked this
By kanga
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:The only thing that matters with an EV is range unless you just want a second car as city runabout.

.. but if you do (or as a 'rural town and vicinity but not very far' runabout), then price and recharge time become important. The price includes both direct running costs (should go down), and recurrent maintenance costs (probably downward trend), but also capital cost of switch (currently high) and any infrastructure cost eg of installing fast charger at home (should be unnecessary if overnight on domestic socket will suffice for typical needs).

But if all above are satisfied, and a second car (ICE) is available, then EV will start to look very attractive if capital cost comes down faster than small ICE runabout declines towards unserviceability (or high maintenance costs). However, I can foresee that if we get a small EV, then it will be used for nearly all our journeys (most of which are short), to the point when logic dictates that we should get rid of the larger and rent when we need one, because we would be paying a lot for the convenience of having one. We rarely need its larger volume or range: airport trips for ourselves or overseas visitors; a few visits within UK; annual collection of the Christmas tree (we could do with a smaller one!) :)
kanga wrote:However, I can foresee that if we get a small EV, then it will be used for nearly all our journeys (most of which are short), to the point when logic dictates that we should get rid of the larger and rent when we need one, because we would be paying a lot for the convenience of having one. We rarely need its larger volume or range: airport trips for ourselves or overseas visitors; a few visits within UK; annual collection of the Christmas tree (we could do with a smaller one!) :)

Difficult to disagree with any of that kanga. I understand FD to also being in agreement, however I believe he is suggesting that the armchair theory misses much of the practical inconvenience. Even down to timing the collection and return of a hire car, it taking two to collect, or leaving a car there, or paying a higher price for delivery and collection. All perfectly doable, of course, just not without inconvenience. :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:Really? A white box is a white box, but a Beko sure ain't a Miele, nor is a pocket Pifco a Dyson hairdryer.

The only thing "good" about the MG is the badge; the rest is just standard Chinese fayre.

Do you check out the kitchen when you visit people in the way you check out their car? :wink:

I know a lot of young people who are not bothered about driving at all, have no licence and no intention of getting one. Partly it is cost, but also a sense of it being old fashioned.

It may change when they have families of course, but it could indicate a possible future when owning a car, which spends 95% of the time parked somewhere, is seen as wasteful, and other means of getting around come on stream.
Jim Jones wrote:...a possible future when owning a car, which spends 95% of the time parked somewhere, is seen as wasteful, and other means of getting around come on stream.

I think that scenario is inevitable, Jim, the only unknown being the timing. :thumright:
I remain surprised, in this day and age, that the vast amount of heat energy wasted in an ICE vehicle (up to 80%) is not converted into another form to assist that engine.
Colonel Panic wrote:Really? A white box is a white box, but a Beko sure ain't a Miele, nor is a pocket Pifco a Dyson hairdryer.

Indeed but is one worth multiple times what the other is worth? We’ve had a Beko washing machine for >10 years. Ok, it’s not a Miele or Bosch but it was a fraction of the price. What do the premium brands give you other than clean clothes which the Beko seems also to be able to manage?

The only thing "good" about the MG is the badge; the rest is just standard Chinese fayre.

The reviews that I’ve seen have been quite good.... yes there are issues but it’s considerably cheaper than it’s competitors. I guess it depends how you value the issues.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:I remain surprised, in this day and age, that the vast amount of heat energy wasted in an ICE vehicle (up to 80%) is not converted into another form to assist that engine.

Intrinsic thermodynamics -- this inefficiency is inevitable unless the engine can work at much higher temperatures. I recall reading articles 35 or so years ago about the prospects of ceramic ICEs for cars, but we're still waiting!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
PaulB wrote:The reviews that I’ve seen have been quite good.... yes there are issues but it’s considerably cheaper than it’s competitors. I guess it depends how you value the issues.

Agreed - the vast majority of the reviews that I have seen are indeed positive - and you get a lot for your money.
Colonel Panic wrote:
PaulB wrote:The reviews that I’ve seen have been quite good.... yes there are issues but it’s considerably cheaper than it’s competitors. I guess it depends how you value the issues.

Agreed - the vast majority of the reviews that I have seen are indeed positive - and you get a lot for your money.

.... BlueRobin (formerly of this parish) has bought one. Quite likes it by all accounts.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Without trying hard...

New e-Corsa = 30k
New 1.4 Petrol Corsa = 16k

New e-Golf = 31k
New 1.4TSi petrol Golf = 18k

Hmmm. One suspects (but havent checked) that the above is representative of all the brands.

Personally, I wouldnt buy a new car anyway.
cockney steve liked this