For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A week in to our Zoe ownership too - and generally ok.

22Kw - luxury! Most public chargers round us in North Norfolk are currently only 7Kw. But a 7kw one near us - Tesco - is free.

The issue I have found is some of the chargers are not adequately earthed for the Zoe, which is very particular I am led to understand. Comes up with 'Inappropriate Earth' on dash, or something like that. A couple of these in National Trust properties - so I have drawn it to their attention as well as Podpoint.

It is ok as a second car - particular as we have no or intermittent diesel supply at the moment.
By riverrock
Zoe is more particular about earthing than most - I believe it wants less than 180 ohms. That is lower than UK regs.
My understanding is that Tesla and some others don't really check this before charging (just look for open circuit).
There will also be greater resistance in dry ground (if an earth rod is used) than wet ground.

I must admit - I rarely take Zoe outside of range from home (I do few longer journeys). I have a old diesel for the very long journeys.
By Flyin'Dutch'
TheKentishFledgling wrote:, but so far there's zero chance of convincing me you can make an EV work if you don't have charging available at home.

Indeed, not having a charging facility at home means an EV is not a realistic proposition. And the charging at home needs to be at least a 7kW Wallbox. Anything less is impractical.

Ditto, charging 'en route' is not something I plan on. Too expensive, unreliable and time-consuming.

Other than proper long-range EVs, such as Tesla, Polestar, big Mercs/VWs etc EVs are good as second cars for local use (as in within range trips)
Going from Yorkshire to Pembrokeshire in 2 weeks. All chargers there are 22kw, in council car parks that require £1 per hour on top. My car won’t take more than 11kw. (I may be able to charge using my granny cable at the cottage).

I don’t think they want eco tourists despite the main attraction is walking the coastal path.