For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rogerb
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Never encountered it in the UK, or Europe for that matter, yet.

Wheels, or more appropriately - absence thereof, is the weak link in the GA for serious transport process.

True but on several occasions I've been lent a car at a couple of French airfields.
In addition to lifts etc.
Also generous lifts to nearby pubs etc at several UK airfields. Folk are frequently very generous as long as one is respectful.
Think I found my wife’s next car - Mercedes EQB.

Ticks all the boxes:
1. It’s all electric
2. 7 seats
3. It’s German
4. Price new is still less than the cheapest 2nd hand Tesla Model X
5. It’s just a bit bigger than the Touran it will replace.
6. Should be available to order at my local dealer in 2 weeks time!!!

Federal govt here are offering charger as 100% deductible, or 200% if i make it “semi-publicly available”. I may well order 2….
Flyin'Dutch', johnm liked this
OCB wrote: worth watching the latest developments of the Lightyear One EV.

drag coefficient (Cd) of less than 0.20

That's impressive

Rob P
Propwash wrote:Agreed, but if your car is parked outside your house midway between the lamp posts on your side of the road you would need a pretty long cable to reach it; it would have to trail along the kerb; it would be a hazard and vulnerable to vandalism. I am not sure that is the safest or best solution.

PW

This would seem to me to be a good way forward that could overcome some of these issues:

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of installing these in the highway in large numbers. There's a lot of stuff down there already.

Am still thinking that EV's are a half-baked intermediary solution and that the long term change will involve hydrogen.