For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:Good write up of a typical EV trip. The tech is not exclusive to EVs: lane assist, adaptive cruise control, speed limit recognition, etc. However the response to the accelerator is what distinguishes EVs, smooth, powerful, quietly insistent. Regenerative braking also creates a different experience especially in traffic or country roads.

Won’t suit all petrol heads, no roar, no squeal, no rifle bolt gear change but as a transport my EV is calming, safe, clean, simple.
And this week especially, stress-free. :thumright:

Pretty good synopsis. I see EVs as "appliances" rather than "machines" (When talking about higher performance ICE - Not my car!). I know EV performance can be pretty staggering but is not the same feel as you say.

I almost got an EV this time round, was maybe 90% convinced, but opted for a 1.4 turbo Octavia estate (hardly a "machine"!) but with top end trim and will run this into a ground. My smallest engine yet. Very hard to beat skoda on value. 100% sure it will be EV next time (If I actually have a choice)

I quite like what was said on one of Clarkson's programs somewhere, the EV will save the motorcar. You can't use high performance on public roads anyway - Instead we can all drive EVs day to day (when they become cheaper - they aren't quite affordable enough yet) and if we have a need for speed / noise / passion we can take our petrol cars to a track day.

I agree with calming, clean, simple - we don't want our commutes to be exciting, just bang on an audible book or music and try to make the best, most comfortable use of what is essentially wasted time - or better still have no commute (though this isn't an option for 80% of people)
Flyin'Dutch', eltonioni liked this
By skydriller
StratoTramp wrote:I quite like what was said on one of Clarkson's programs somewhere, the EV will save the motorcar. You can't use high performance on public roads anyway - Instead we can all drive EVs day to day (when they become cheaper - they aren't quite affordable enough yet) and if we have a need for speed / noise / passion we can take our petrol cars to a track day.

I think it was Jay Leno said that. Could well have been in a Clarkson interview though.

I unashamedly like my ICE car. Its an iconic design shape that hasnt changed a great deal since the first model of the 60s and is great fun to drive. But Im not sure that I would be happy to just be able to "play with it on a track" though. I like the involvement of driving a machine - any machine - from aeroplanes to lawnmowers, manipulating the controls - there is a skill involved in operating machinery well that is fun and gives enormous satisfaction. But theres more to it than that.

I also like that Im accomplishing something I need to do while having fun doing it. Going for a local bimble is OK for the sake of playing with a machine, but going to a destination for a good reason is better still - be that in a car or an aeroplane. On a different scale its one of the things I like about my work too - I get to play with a REALLY big machine and get paid for my job of work.

Regards, SD..
StratoTramp liked this
There is an article on the Citroen Ami in the Times today, interesting vehicle, £5000, 45 mile range, 28mph maximum speed (limited by French Qaudricycle rules?). Has already attracted a decent number of orders for next years launch here. As a second car it would work well for many families, not just in the city.
The comment from the Citroen rep was interesting, costs less than a mobile phone! Because you can lease one for £17/month in France :D
By StratoTramp
skydriller wrote:I think it was Jay Leno said that. Could well have been in a Clarkson interview though....

... I like the involvement of driving a machine - any machine - from aeroplanes to lawnmowers, manipulating the controls - there is a skill involved in operating machinery well that is fun and gives enormous satisfaction. But theres more to it than that ...

Ah yeah Jay Leno with Clarkson. I totally agree with the second part. It feels good to be competent and useful. we keep trying to make ourselves redundant. Whole separate issue and separate thread, but I think there is going to be big problems with increasing automation. If people feel they don't have purpose they join silly groups like XR and Insulate Britain or even gangs to try get some semblance of meaning :lol:
By Melanie Moxon
@skydriller Yup, the calculated range at full charge was 165miles/260km. Not something that bothers me overly much If I got more than 180 miles to a fill on the 2006 Mustang GT I had (who gives you a 60L tank with a 4.6L V8...), I was having a very sedate week! and that often took 20-30 minutes to replenish the 45L from the fuel light as it would vapour lock.

There was no traditional speedo dial just a number on the dashboard, given its LCD it might be customisable I have no idea.

The foot over the brake is a hang over from the Mustang, it had no "cancel" on its cruise control so if you wanted to keep the same speed you tap the brake pedal (or dip the clutch on a manual), and I wasn't exactly trusting of its ability to perform an emergency stop at least initially.

I don't think I could have one as an only car if I weren't flying older totally manual aircraft as you say the engagement with the machine is the fun part. I'd probably have an EV as a run around and a Caterham style car for fun if I suddenly found myself unable to fly.

@Jim Jones Yeah the tech was more something I mentioned because I am not used to it, the only car I have driven with radar cruise for example was a VW Golf I had as a rental, but being a manual I never really got to see if it would stop because I was downshifting gears as the car slows (as you do) which disengages the cruise control.
malcolmfrost wrote:.. for a large number of people a car is just a box on 4 wheels to get from A to B as simply and cheaply as possible!

.. and, from my (personal, I know) PoV, 'comfortably but otherwise boringly'. I do not (now) relish 'excitement' nor even active 'enjoyment' from any motoring I have to do; I merely want to be fit on arrival to enjoy what I am to do at the other end of the journey.
By skydriller
malcolmfrost wrote:There is an article on the Citroen Ami in the Times today, interesting vehicle, £5000, 45 mile range, 28mph maximum speed (limited by French Qaudricycle rules?).

Oh wonderfull... another 50km/hr tiddly little traffic jam making box driven by those that cant get a proper driving licence in France... :roll:

These bloody VSP things should be forced to have big flashing yellow lights and massive warning signs all over them. They're bloody dangerous is what they are, especially on country roads, even more so at night... :guns:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
kanga wrote:
.. and, from my (personal, I know) PoV, 'comfortably but otherwise boringly'. I do not (now) relish 'excitement' nor even active 'enjoyment' from any motoring I have to do; I merely want to be fit on arrival to enjoy what I am to do at the other end of the journey.

And I for one agree. I was once, in a previous life, actually paid to drive some very high-performance cars in what many would regard as an exciting style. :wink: And when I was single I enjoyed owning and driving sporting rides in my own time. I still enjoy exciting things but prefer my driving, and consequently the vehicles I own, to be comfortable, reliable, and economical. I have, however, resisted the urge to buy a flat cap and a pipe. :lol:

All things must pass.

PW
kanga liked this