For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As much as I'm lusting after a Tesla (although maybe have concerns about the long-term viability of the company?) I'm finding it hard to justify the extra cost over a Leaf or an Ioniq BEV. Hopefully will try a test drive for the Leaf soon.

Our company low-emission car scheme has the Tesla Model 3 at almost twice the cost of a Leaf or Ioniq.
I found this video interesting, a real world comparison of the actual battery range of several electric cars in the UK by driving them until they died. The Kia Niro seems to come out exceptionally well considering it's purchase price.

The most worrying part of the film was the amount of 'eyes inside the cockpit' time spent looking at the screens etc. and not on the road!

By Flying_john
Nice test - well done to that team.

Interesting they didn't have the BMW i3 in the test.

So Shortlist for a new car is:-

TESLA
KIA
LEAF

Now all we need is the actual price one would pay for each one , AFTER all discounts, grants etc.

My Leaf is at the menders at the moment, ASDA lorry backed into me over Xmas, so have an I3 hire car, but I dont really like it except for the claimed range ( 120 -140 miles) and the headlights !

But the Kia sounds interesting, might try and get a test drive.
By stevelup
Mr Bags wrote:I found this video interesting, a real world comparison of the actual battery range of several electric cars in the UK by driving them until they died. The Kia Niro seems to come out exceptionally well considering it's purchase price.

The Kia did really well! Impressive.
By JonathanB
Kia not available on out car scheme... and not sure what the lead time for them is either, it was >12 months.
worth joining the various owners forums
you'll see what people really think, and how good/bad/(ugly) they are (the cars not the drivers - although)

I looked long and hard at a LEAF
actually ordered one last February
after slipping two months every month, I called it a day when it got to November
asked myself "what do I really want?"

now a happy Tesla M3 driver
no regrets whatsoever
JonathanB liked this
By stevelup
I might have to defect from BMW in July.

It'll be the first non-BMW I've had in 19 years, but I just can't turn down 1% BIK, and apart from the i3 they have no BEVs. Disappointing.

The iX3 is looking like it'll be 2021 now.
By Flying_john
I read that it is 0% BIK (Benefit In Kind) charge for company electric vehicles for 2020 /21.

Coupled with 100% capital rightoff in 1st year, and still being able to make a claim for the electricity used for business miles, makes a new EV company purchase even more attractive, and will allow me to upgrade the 2016 Leaf to one of the newer ones with appreciable greater range.
By avtur3
Talk of the £3,500 government grant towards the cost of new EV's being axed is gaining ground again. It was last September that Grant Shapps said: “I make no bones about it, we want to remove all the subsidy".

On last night's Question Time there was discussion about transport and EV's which lead to a government minister (Robert Buckland - Justice) being challenged directly that the grant is to be scrapped in next month's budget.

The minister clearly felt awkward and did not answer the question but instead spoke about investment in EV's being focused on charging infrastructure.

It seems a bit strange to tighten the timetable on banning sales of ICE cars and now to include hybrids and then in another breath remove the incentives for buying one particularly when they are clearly more expensive, we seem to be a long way off economies of scale reducing prices.

It appears that anyone factoring in using the grant to help with an EV purchase may need to move quickly.

A few days ago I saw a car ad that really made the point in my mind. Vauxhall is offering their new Corsa in petrol, diesel and fully electric models. The starting price for petrol £16k, the starting point for a pure EV £30k :shock: That made me think ...£30k for a Corsa, who would pay that? A typical PCP was quoted on a 4 year deal, £4.5k upfront followed by 47 months at £299 per month. Factor in the upfront payment and that combines to make a 48 month eqivalent of £387 per month ... for a Corsa.
avtur3 wrote:Talk of the £3,500 government grant towards the cost of new EV's being axed is gaining ground again. It was last September that Grant Shapps said: “I make no bones about it, we want to remove all the subsidy".

Surely it just allows manufacturers to increase the price of an already expensive, some might say overpriced, car by £3500.
By riverrock
The Zoe is going up rather than down for the "on the road" price that you pay.
Renault are ramping up production but they are still selling out with current waiting lists at least 3 months to come from the factory and no cars "in stock". Sales of EVs are up 200% compared to last year. However numbers are still low - only about 20% of new cars had some sort of electric propulsion (pure + hybrid) but only 2.7% were pure electric.

We have a long way to go before Electric is the norm.
riverrock wrote:We have a long way to go before Electric is the norm.

I was driving on the M54 the other day and JLR are building (or have built - it was dark) a large engine plant N of Wolverhampton. That's quite a commitment to ICE.
By nallen
PaulB wrote:
riverrock wrote:We have a long way to go before Electric is the norm.

I was driving on the M54 the other day and JLR are building (or have built - it was dark) a large engine plant N of Wolverhampton. That's quite a commitment to ICE.

Expanding an existing plant, I believe (still a big investment of course).
By skydriller
avtur3 wrote:A few days ago I saw a car ad that really made the point in my mind. Vauxhall is offering their new Corsa in petrol, diesel and fully electric models. The starting price for petrol £16k, the starting point for a pure EV £30k That made me think ...£30k for a Corsa, who would pay that? A typical PCP was quoted on a 4 year deal, £4.5k upfront followed by 47 months at £299 per month. Factor in the upfront payment and that combines to make a 48 month eqivalent of £387 per month ... for a Corsa.

I refer the learned Gentleman to my post of several months ago....
(Which some sought to bash, yet appears to be still relavent...)

skydriller wrote:Without trying hard...

New e-Corsa = 30k
New 1.4 Petrol Corsa = 16k

New e-Golf = 31k
New 1.4TSi petrol Golf = 18k

Hmmm. One suspects (but havent checked) that the above is representative of all the brands.

Personally, I wouldnt buy a new car anyway.