For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't really see the point in it. It's 10K more, slightly slower, slightly less range and doesn't qualify for the PICG because it's over 50k.

If you want an electric Volvo, better off with the Polestar unless you -really- want an SUV.

Interestingly, in some markets (Canada for example), it's priced aggressively against the Polestar. Here, not.
Pete L liked this
I have just had a call from Tesla asking if I want to "upgrade" my 18 month old Model 3 to a new (new-spec) one. The depreciation on mine to date (purchase price less part ex sale) is "only" 19%, excluding the issue of Full Self Driving.

I'm not going to go ahead though, partly due to losing FSD & I PROB80 wouldn't want to re-buy it, partly due to losing Premium Connectivity FOC for life, and partly 'cos I ought not ... :oops:

The Tesla part ex offer was a couple of hundred pounds more than WBAC, so neither insulting nor overly generous.
By Flying_john
If anyone else has a leaf produced after 5th March 2020 there is what we would call a service bulletin. TB ST 21/01

If you have one, sit in car ready to go, but not in gear and turn steering from full lock to full lock. You may hear a clonk, If so you need to book in to have a small mod done. It looks like a bolt or pin replacement that sticks out too far and fouls something.
By PeteSpencer
[Thread drift/thinking aloud]
Does anyone know anything about the new VW 'stationwagon', based I think on the New Golf 8?

It might be the answer to a maiden's prayer in the S houshold:

'Er indoors hates her Polo, but loves Golfs, having had 3 or 4 in the past and regretting downsizing to Polo.

She could have the Stationwagon, giving us the ability to travel distances with some extra load carrying capacity and I could have a small all electric EV and get rid of the elderly Krauto.

Just got to persuade her to have an estate....Not gonna be easy..... :roll: :oops:
By PeteSpencer
Jim Jones wrote:The Golf 8 is very much touchscreen heavy. Broadly the same as my VW ID.3 . That may be a challenge.

Late Mk7 might do the job

VW Dealer Norwich I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Does the ID3 really do 330 miles?? :wink:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:The Golf 8 is very much touchscreen heavy. Broadly the same as my VW ID.3 . That may be a challenge.

Late Mk7 might do the job

VW Dealer Norwich I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Does the ID3 really do 330 miles?? :wink:

The 72kwh model, under WDLP regulations is assessed to do that.
What is the official mpg of your current car ? Have you ever achieved it?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Jim Jones wrote:
The 72kwh model, under WDLP regulations is assessed to do that.

Much as I love EVs their range quotations and real life range are their weak points.

I have as yet never managed to get the quoted range on an EV. I regularly manage the mpg of ICE cars.
AndyR liked this
Jim Jones wrote:The 72kwh model, under WDLP regulations is assessed to do that.

It's not so much achieving the published mpg that's the issue though, Jim. Achieving 42mpg and not a published 45mpg is not quite as critical when there's a 550 mile range. Whereas falling 50 miles short on an estimated range of 300 miles...
By Flyin'Dutch'
Colonel Panic wrote:The reality of EV range is that it depends significantly on the OAT on the day. WLTP figures obtained in "perfect" conditions are pretty meaningless when it come to planning re-fuelling stops.

As a matter of interest, how does Tesla compare in this area?

For the i3 BMW gives the following:

In everyday use I have 200 km usable in the winter; summer 275 km.

Modifiable by driving like a maniac or very gently. There is a long stretch of unrestricted motorway between us and the airfield and if I go all out I have to be careful not to get stuck on the way back..(round trip 160 km :twisted: )