For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
AndyR wrote:But then I’ve owned diesels since 1988.

So it's all your fault? :lol:
AndyR wrote:But then I’ve owned diesels since 1988. I’d switch to an EV but not petrol :D

I owned diesels from 2006 up to this time last year.

I've found the change back to petrol hugely enjoyable.

Rob P
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes but then you have bought petrol cars with grunt that waft along, not itsy-bitsy eco-liter jobbies like some of the hire cars I have had which means their fuel economy is pants when driven to make progress...

Regards, SD..
Rob P liked this
By mmcp42
question re charging
let's say there's a car park near the office where I can leave my car all day
it has a charging point, so I can top up ready for my drive home
but that means I'm hogging the charge point/parking space nearby all day long
what is the etiquette for such a circumstance
a) just do it and stuff the other thirsty EVs
b) pop out at lunch time and move my car
c) notice that the car already parked there has been there 4 hours, so unplug him and plug mine in
d) if I do that is he paying for my charge?
By avtur3
mmcp42 wrote:question re charging
let's say there's a car park near the office where I can leave my car all day
it has a charging point, so I can top up ready for my drive home
but that means I'm hogging the charge point/parking space nearby all day long
what is the etiquette for such a circumstance
a) just do it and stuff the other thirsty EVs
b) pop out at lunch time and move my car
c) notice that the car already parked there has been there 4 hours, so unplug him and plug mine in
d) if I do that is he paying for my charge?

Based on the experiences of my in-laws who run an i3 then as far as a) and b) go there are some who do and some who don't in both cases. As far as c) is concerned then I understand that the coupler locks in place while charging, so you can't transfer a live charging lead. One thing I'm not certain of is whether the plug auto unlocks when charging is finished which would allow another user to remove the charging lead from another vehicle and switch it their own. Given careful positioning of the charger then one charger can serve 4 bays.

Given that it'll be some time before the provision of charging infrastructure reaches practical levels to deal with an increasing number of cars then I think it is important to have a better understanding of a) and b) in order to make full use of the chargers that do exist.

I've read conflicting views on whether home charging or public charging will be more popular, part of that revolves around whether people will have the facility to charge at home, which may well be determined by the type of property they live in.
I've read that there is a movement in the US where people put a sign in their windscreen showing their mobile number and offer to come out from their hotel / wherever & disconnect their car if someone else wants to use it. Not sure how effective the system is, nor how abused it is...
By Rob P
On the original 100 mile Leaf the qualification process used by most the Nissan showroom staff was to guide those who had no facility to charge at home towards Qashqai.

Interesting to speculate if the growth in ownership will outrun the growth in charging points or vice versa?

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
With the increase of EVs the novelty factor of companies offering 'free' charging will wear off, at the same time more people will organise cheaper charging at home (Solar Panels/Special Tariffs/Economy 7) so that home changing will become the norm. And ranges increase all the time with there soon being no need to charge as often as you do now.

Home charging would be one of the big advantages for me for having an EV - hate charging at Fuel Stations with a passion.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob P wrote:On the original 100 mile Leaf the qualification process used by most the Nissan showroom staff was to guide those who had no facility to charge at home towards Qashqai.

Interesting to speculate if the growth in ownership will outrun the growth in charging points or vice versa?

Rob P

Sorry Rob - not sure I understand.

Those who wanted to go regularly further than a 100 miles were encouraged to buy a Qq instead of a Leaf?
No, those who had no possibility of home charging were encouraged to consider Qashqai.

The increase in range (endurance) of later model Leafs may have changed that since, but I know not

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Seems to me that rather than installing these expensive quick charge doobreys, a work car park could install a row of 13A sockets so that people who are there all day could slow charge for enough electricity to get home. The quick chargers could be left free for those who are only there for meetings or such, to get an hour or hour and a half before moving on.
By stevelup
That would only work indoors. I'd say there would be liability issues providing a bunch of outdoor 13A sockets.

We've installed 16A Type 2 chargers with tethered cables, so the grubby / wet / otherwise horrible cable can stay outside the vehicle. They only cost about £350.
By Paul_Sengupta
stevelup wrote:That would only work indoors. I'd say there would be liability issues providing a bunch of outdoor 13A sockets.

Our work car park(s) in Sweden have them (well, not UK 13A sockets, but y'know) so people can (traditionally) plug their pre-heaters into them. They're outdoors.
By stevelup
Well, I wouldn't personally do it for my employees.

Compare a properly engineered safe connector that's designed for the exact application, and potentially touching a normal domestic plug and socket in the p1ssing rain with wet hands.

One of them is the right thing to do, the other is a damn silly idea.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this