For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
To get that very low average you must have a lot of Solar or Wind generation. If you only have 5hrs at 5p and the normal rate for GO is 14.4p, you must use a miniscule amount of power from the grid during the other 19hrs a day.

I don't think you are a typical user.
By JonathanB
I pay 15p/day standing charge and 11.795p/kWh with green.energy

Not sure it’s worth me changing to a different tariff with cheaper overnight rates as we use electricity all day being at home more and with kids etc.

Need to go and check what the car is saying my average kWh/per mile is.
Colonel Panic wrote:Those figures are for all imports, and exclude self generation. But I do accept that I am not "typical" as. as well as 4kW PV I also have a 13kWh battery. The latter enables us to almost eliminate day time imports.

What battery system do you have, Colonel? Was it an expensive set up?

Thanks in advance.
@Paultheparaglider - I went for a Tesla Powerwall as we already had a Model 3 and a Tesla Wall Charger. Not the cheapest, but a comparatively large capacity (13.5kWh usable), and it can charge & discharge at up to 7kWh peak, 5kWh continuous. All in it was perhaps £7k fitted. Nowhere near as financially sensible as PV panels are, but I enjoy having it and would repeat the purchase if I had to. It also looks cool, and if I had my way it would be bolted on to the wall in the Sitting Room, but sadly it is hidden behind a dresser in the Utility Room.

I had hoped to be off grid for 4 months a year, and only import at night rates for the other 8, but that hasn't quite worked out. But it has reduced our exports to only 10% of what we generate, and seeing as we are deemed to export 50% (and paid accordingly), I feel that I have won anyway :wink:
Paultheparaglider liked this
And talking of batteries, I have just tried to start my car and the relatively newish battery is flat as a pancake. That is a sign of how little the poor old car has been getting used these days and the very cold weather hasn't helped. I really can't remember the last time I had to charge a car battery but certainly not for 30 plus years. :(

Fortunately I had anticipated this might be a problem with all the restrictions under which we have been living and invested in a shiny modern smart battery charger from Amazon recently which I will now get to use. I think I will wait to greet the warmer weather predicted for Sunday before I remove the battery for charging though. :wink:

PW
Colonel Panic liked this
By stevelup
Very pleasing quotes from the article:-

For any human driver paying even the slightest bit of attention, this accident is almost an impossibility, assuming the driver had the gift of sight and functional brakes.

I’ve reached out to Tesla for comment, but considering we’ve heard f**k-all from them for months and months when we reach out, I’m not going to hold my breath for a response.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
“The Fourth Highway Police Brigade said that driving Tesla was a 53-year-old man named Huang, who claimed to have turned on the vehicle assist system at the time. It was thought that the vehicle would detect an obstacle and slow down or stop, but the car still moved at a fixed speed, so when the brakes were to be applied at the last moment, it would be too late to cause a disaster.”

"The driver claimed". Well he would do if he was on his phone at the time and AP is a useful scapegoat! I'm sure Tesla will have reviewed the logs already.
Just wait until a Tesla decides to wipe out a bus stop of children instead of a cardboard box blowing across the road in a more intense interpretation of the Trolly Problem.
Last edited by eltonioni on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this