For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Indeed. Just a mildly interesting fact thrown into a lengthy thread.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:A nicety of First Generation Leaf was that once the car was 'started' with the key in proximity it is no longer required and the car can be happily driven round without it present.

Isn't that the case with all keyless cars? Both of our keyless ICE cars (Solihull's & Cowley's finest) can
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ours -can- but you'd have to be insane to do it accidentally. If the car moves one inch without the key present, there's a loud chime and a message appears on the navigation display (completely filling it), and also on the dashboard, and on my car in the HUD as well.

This then repeats every single time you move off from a stop.

I think the most common reason this would happen would be if a passenger gets out with the key, so this mitigation is pretty good. I think any manufacturer that lets you move off without warning the key is lacking in vision as to how fallible human beings can be!
mick w, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
I'm told the Zoe is the same - warns you if the key leaves the car when its "started".
I'm going to have to spend time working out how it works - I've walked a long way from it with the key in my hand and nothing happening. Might actually have to read the manual :shock: :oops:
By skydriller
KISS engineering.

Have a "key" of some sort regardless of shape, size or type.
Have some kind of "slot" to put the "key" in, to make everything work.

Simples.
By stevelup
BBC wrote:Electric carmaker Tesla has said it will cut its workforce by 7% after the "most challenging" year in its history.

In an email to employees, shared on the firm's website, founder Elon Musk said that growth at the firm had been strong.

But he added the firm's cars were still "too expensive for most people" and the road ahead was "very difficult".

Well no, the problem was that the fantastical $35000 Model 3 launch price was complete BS and there was no chance of it ever happening!

If they really could have pushed those out in volume at $35k and made a profit, he would be laughing all the way to Mars by now.
By riverrock
skydriller wrote:KISS engineering.

Have a "key" of some sort regardless of shape, size or type.
Have some kind of "slot" to put the "key" in, to make everything work.

Simples.

Indeed - that works and is what I've been doing.
But we also want all the bells and whistles :)
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:
Rob P wrote:Isn't that the case with all keyless cars? Both of our keyless ICE cars (Solihull's & Cowley's finest) can

Probably, but with the chance of an ICE stalling, not present in EV, it wouldn't be particularly advisable.

Needless to say First Gen Leaf does warn if the key is no longer present

Rob P
Just seen an ad for the new Kia e-Niro which is getting close to 300 miles per charge.

.... it’s not cheap, though.

https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/all-new-e-niro/

Is 2019 going to be the year where the tide turns in favour of EVs and all this talk of free leccy will disappear (as will empty charging bays)?
But then they go and launch the Kia Stinger and suddenly ICE looks attractive again

:lol:

Rob P
PaulB liked this
Saw a very nice Kona earlier today - I think they are coming in at close to 300 mile real world range. I’ve just been on a 3 day business trip 100 miles away in my Leaf with 30 mile per day return trip to my hotel. I chose the hotel because it was in the middle of a huge retail park with 4 chargers and a gym of which I’m a national member.

I really don’t like using my Audi, or any other petrol/deisel car these days and took the Leaf for comfort despite the snow and cold forecast (it did snow).

The retail park was attracting a large number of Leafs - a case of build and they will come.

Chose to spend a tenner on an expensive rapid charger as I didn’t know what to expect at the retail park, but everything else was on free charge. 260 miles, £11.50 on electricity (£1.50 at home following a quick free top up at the local park and ride).

Best bit was not needing to de-ice the car in the car park - I set the heater running remotely and arrived at the car with all the windows clear while others were warming their engines and de-Icing.

Got near summer kWh/mile on the way home through a quick rapid charge (on free vend) which warmed the battery during a loo stop.

It’s a different, but relaxing and cheap, way of getting. around.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Leodisflyer wrote: Best bit was not needing to de-ice the car in the car park - I set the heater running remotely and arrived at the car with all the windows clear while others were warming their engines and de-Icing.

Got near summer kWh/mile on the way home through a quick rapid charge (on free vend) which warmed the battery during a loo stop.

It’s a different, but relaxing and cheap, way of getting. around.

You're a great advocate for the EV product!

I think they should pay you commission!
By Flying_john
Ventured to Canterbury yesterday and knew I could do there and back on one charge if I was careful. But I parked at Whitefriars multi story and there was an EV charge sign. Couldn't see anything that looked like a Pod or charger so had to ask.

"Its over there mate", pointing to a double socket on the wall.

Ah well a 13amp socket is better than nothing esp as it was a free charge and was nice to come back to the pre-warmed car with 80miles of range.

Anyone used a Shell garage charge point yet, they seem to be springing up all over ?
By MikeB
Shell is currently 25p/kW; roughly double the price I pay for leccy at home (and 25p/kW more expensive than most charges I get!), so no incentive to use for my I3 unless I need the range. Still, it is cheaper (just) than using the petrol range extender. Ecotricity (typically found at motorway service stations), at 30p/kW, is currently more expensive than running on petrol.
By Flying_john
Hmmm 25p not bad if caught short. At 250 watts per mile thats 6.25p a mile. My old gas guzzler did 30MPG, about 20p a mile .

I do use chargemaster occasionally for a long trip at 30p a unit and still cheaper on the round trip than petrol with a full charge at home the night before.