For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I reckon its because the car is no longer able to be driven in top gear and is now mostly being driven around in 5th...

(which is I think what you are saying?)

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:
skydriller wrote:If anyone here thinks that someone in the developing world (ie anywhere that isnt N America or west Europe) is going to buy an EV in preference to an ICE then they are sorely mistaken...
karlbown wrote:And 3% (and rising) preferred an EV. Which is completely contrary to what you suggested.

:scratch:
97% bought ICE in China... So how am I wrong exactly?

EVs have a market for sure, but they are not for all yet and will not be in developing countries for a lot longer than in developed countries.
(I hate to say this, but do you visit developing countries - and not just the city? If you did you would understand)

Regards, SD..

Have a read of your original post and you should see where you were wrong. And if you don’t think 3% of the Chinese market, and rising, is significant, then you’re only kidding yourself.

Hate to say this but have you ever owned an electric car, or driven one? Even sat in one perhaps?
By skydriller
Which number is bigger, 97 or 3 ...decide, then look up "preference". Please explain how Im wrong ??

To answer your other question, I havent sat in an EV or driven one - the opportunity hasnt arisen yet. I will say it again: Im not against EVs in any way, but if you have been anywhere outside of a (dare I say western?) city, you would know they are not the answer to the worlds transport needs just yet. Im a realist, are you?

Regards, SD..
Changing the subject slightly, I had a ride in an early BW i3 over the weekend; admittedly driven by an ageing sister-in-law who, whilst a capable driver, was evidently not inclined to floor it. Impressions? Quite fun, certainly whacky (which I like), but it still felt very much a small "city car". So not for me, as I have become used to driving a much more substantial / comfortable car.
By Flyin'Dutch'
skydriller wrote:As an aside as you mention fuel efficiency:

We have noticed that the average fuel consumption of my partners Diesel ( :shock: ) BMW 1 series has increased from ~5ltr/100km to ~6ltr/100km since the new 80km/hr speed limit has been introduced in France...

Regards, SD..

Maybe time for an EV?

:wink:
skydriller liked this
First you say nobody will prefer EVs, Then you say 3% isn’t many (it’s 100s of thousands). I would have hoped you would understand what it is you said but maybe not. Come back when you’ve made your mind up lol.

skydriller wrote:
skydriller wrote:If anyone here thinks that someone in the developing world (ie anywhere that isnt N America or west Europe) is going to buy an EV in preference to an ICE then they are sorely mistaken...
karlbown wrote:And 3% (and rising) preferred an EV. Which is completely contrary to what you suggested.

97% bought ICE in China... So how am I wrong exactly?

EVs have a market for sure, but they are not for all yet and will not be in developing countries for a lot longer than in developed countries.
(I hate to say this, but do you visit developing countries - and not just the city? If you did you would understand)

Regards, SD..
By Flying_john
I was quite surprised when plotting my route down to Kitty Hawk farm that there seem to be more and more Shell garages with rapid charging facilities popping up on non motorway routes.

It still does require slightly more planning for journeys over 60miles than a gas guzzler, but it is becoming easier now to get to places without the worry of topping up.
Flying_john wrote:It still does require slightly more planning for journeys over 60miles than a gas guzzler, but it is becoming easier now to get to places without the worry of topping up.

I've deliberately avoided making any input in this debate but couldn't help seeing a little irony in the above .
Especially after reading this in Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com

Just scroll down to the bit about doing a European road trip in a Tesla .

Enjoy.. :D
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
skydriller wrote:As an aside as you mention fuel efficiency:

We have noticed that the average fuel consumption of my partners Diesel ( :shock: ) BMW 1 series has increased from ~5ltr/100km to ~6ltr/100km since the new 80km/hr speed limit has been introduced in France...

Regards, SD..

Maybe time for an EV?

:wink:

haha!! thats OK - at least for now - its a 2010 model with 85000km on the clock and still does around 900km on a tank, so no range anxiety and I expect it to continue running for a few years yet...

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By GrahamB
Within the next three months I'm going to be swapping the aged Golf BlueMotion TDi for a much newer car. Top of the preferred list at the moment is a new-shape Tiguan, and a diesel to boot.

I'd love to go EV right now, but there just isn't enough choice in cars yet, and living where we do with close to zero charge points locally, and insufficient nationally (IMO), I'm not prepared to make myself a hostage to permanent range paranoia.

Perhaps, like PaulB, my next one will be an EV, but not right now.
I still find it bizarre when anyone uses "No charging points near me" as their reason for not going EV.

A fifty mile radius of home is just where you are never going to need a recharge.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flying_john
Yes its so cheap to do it at home on night rate ( about 3p a mile) that although reading some of the previous posts made me think I was missing out on free charging, I concluded it wasn't worth the hassle unless on a long journey and happened to see a free point.

I charge at home before a long journey, use fast chargers when I need to on the motorway, try and get a top up at my destination, enough to get me back to the fast charger on the motorway on the return journey. Its a bit more expensive on the motorway network, but I don't travel on enough long journeys to make it worth a subscription to the motorway charge point people so I pay their "non member" rate.

If there is a nearby Nissan dealer then that's always worth driving the extra mile or two off the main road to get a quick free charge.