For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Cns416 wrote:My current car cost me £1100 to buy: I can put a lot of fuel and oil in it and do lots of cam belt changes for the cost of an electric car.

Whilst true it is not exactly an oranges with oranges comparison. :wink:

My point is the like for like comparison of similar cars, say a Nissan Micra with a starting price of £14 000 vs a Nissan Leaf with a starting price of £27 345.

EDIT: here's another example.
eltonioni liked this
The two examples above are indeed striking. Whether one would save £10,000 (& associated financing costs) over, say, 5-7 years (call it 6) is difficult to say - but I doubt it unless one is doing huge mileage and TBH that is unlikely in an up!

10,000 / 6 and rounded up for financing is £2,000pa. If you do 10,000 miles a year - at 1p/mile in an EV instead of perhaps 12p/mile with an ICE would save you ~£1,000. Tax is (currently) FOC, so a bit more there, and perhaps £250pa saved on servicing.

However, the "soft" issues of an EV being far nicer to drive, and less polluting at point of use should also be taken in to account.
The problem at the lower end is probably that the battery pack cost is a much higher proportion of the price. A 50kW battery for a Tesla is going to cost about the same as for an e-Up. However the manufacturing costs should be much lower going forward as an EV has around 10% of the parts of an ICE so maybe the manufacturers are artificially inflating the price!
Colonel Panic wrote:However, the "soft" issues of an EV being far nicer to drive, and less polluting at point of use should also be taken in to account.

Indeed 'twas always the case, just as the subjective preferences on whether to purchase a Nissan Micra, or Nissan Navara, or Mini vs a BMW 7 Series. :thumright: However the focus on the benefit of lower running costs, more than the driving experience, through the pages whilst essentially ignoring the capital cost is not reflective of the cost of ownership. :wink:
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Do you get the same sorts of discounts on ICE cars as electric?
I paid £19k for my Zoe, but it was being advertised for £27k at the time. That was 2 years ago - I see the latest model is still being advertised for similar money. A Renault Clio's advertised price starts at £16200.
So prices aren't currently coming down.
By johnm
I normally do around 20,000 miles a year and MrsJohnm about 8000. This year my mileage is roughly 10,000 and hers 2500 because of pandemic constraints.

My transport is a Subaru Outback 2.5 litre petrol bought for £14,000 at 3 years old and now 10 years old.

Hers is a 3 litre petrol SLK bought at 10 years old for approx £8000 and now 14 years old

What sort of mileage do EV users clock up typically and how much is long distance (over 500 miles) and what experience is there of a used car market thus far??
johnm wrote:
What sort of mileage do EV users clock up typically and how much is long distance (over 500 miles) and what experience is there of a used car market thus far??

I would guess that is a difficult 'typical' to establish at this stage as the market divides between corporate expresses of the Tesla / iPace ilk, probably covering some distance, and shoppers /town cars like i3 that do the school run and then to the gym.

A quick look at Autotrader seems to indicate that most of the >100,000 mile Model S are 2017 or earlier.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Over here to lease a Tiguan Hybrid is 50 quid per month dearer than an ID4 (fully electric) add to that the savings on fuel and what is there not to like about having a full EV car.

Having said that the Hybrid is a tad more attractive as range is still an issue with EVs, more so here as the charging network seems to suffer from the same issue as the vaccination programme
johnm wrote:I normally do around 20,000 miles a year and MrsJohnm about 8000. This year my mileage is roughly 10,000 and hers 2500 because of pandemic constraints.

My transport is a Subaru Outback 2.5 litre petrol bought for £14,000 at 3 years old and now 10 years old.

Hers is a 3 litre petrol SLK bought at 10 years old for approx £8000 and now 14 years old

I had similar SLK. Still miss it.

I do about 8000 miles per year normally. Commute is 36 miles round trip x 2 or 3 per week, school run x2 per week 18 miles , a mix of country roads, motorway and city. A long trip would be to west coast Scotland from W Yorkshire once a year. Overnight stop on the way up. At least one decent break on the way. Yorkshire Dales, Moors and Lake District in summer.
A bit of forward planning needed., like a flight, with alternatives programmed in if a recharge is not working (should be better now the lowest bidder is not providing motorway rest areas with charging points.

Not everyone will be like this. The 25000 a year driver must have a Tesla for it to work
Caravanners with 12 children who live on the 17th floor will have to wait a bit longer I fear
@johnm on that mileage (normal times) a fag packet calculation says you could save around £4k pa going electric, even just using a standard variable tariff. However, good as EVs are, if you want to tow anything or drive up lumpy tracks, ICE are still best, many other EV models are coming out this year so more people will find one that suits. It might make sense of course to rent/buy a 4WD tank for a few days if you need one!