For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
nallen wrote:I've got an EV for a day's test drive tomorrow -- do I have to register with charge point companies if I want to top up, or can I just rock up to a charger with a bank card?

Depends on the network & how new the charge point is.
Tesla cars communicate directly with Tesla charging points. Instavolt is just credit card. Most others though normally require some sort of app or rfid card - unless more have been converted to credit card when I wasn't looking?
The majority of points up here are Chargeplace Scotland, which are app or rfid card.
Summary here: https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/p ... -networks/
By VRB_20kt
Is there any good reason why EVs cost £20k ++ more than their ICE counterpart? Fewer moving parts, considerably simpler and it's not as if electric motors are particularly expensive. Lithium remains in reasonably plentiful supply though I don't have a handle on how much batteries cost. It just looks as if manufacturers have spotted a chance to cream off a nice fat profit by resetting customer expectations.
VRB_20kt wrote:Is there any good reason why EVs cost £20k ++ more than their ICE counterpart?

Approx :
£7k direct government subsidy
£3k indirect government subsidy
£6k Guardian moralising
£2k grandchildren moralising
+£2k internet forums like this
Meanwhile, in the dear ole US of A, 'ICEing' has become a thing. Parking your gas/diesel truck across charging bays so as to block them.

They are like effing children.

Rob P
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:Meanwhile, in the dear ole US of A, 'ICEing' has become a thing. Parking your gas/diesel truck across charging bays so as to block them.

They are like effing children.

Rob P

If you dont think thats even mildly amusing, Look up "Coaling"... :lol: :lol:
By riverrock
Colonel Panic wrote:Seems like the new Renault Zoë gets nuls points from EuroNCAP :shock:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ren ... gdKSBuCdXY

Indeed. Compared to the 5* rating that the older ( mine) got.
Apparently Renault have downgraded the side air bags, which reduces it by one star.
The rest are because the goal posts have moved, so gets downgraded as due to chip shortages Renault were selling a version without lane guidance, assisted braking etc.
You can decide if those are worth 4* or not.
Colonel Panic liked this