For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
PS If you rely on a 13A wall socket to charge a car (so-called "Granny Lead") you can only add 1-3 miles of range per hour (or thereabouts).

Without a Wallbox and associated higher charging rate the ownership of an EV is not viable. other than as a local shopping trolley.

Which is of course a perfectly respectable use. Whether Mrs E takes delivery of her Union Jack bedraggled Citroen Ami remains to be seen but it only has a 13amp plug. Stated range abt 50 miles which is a couple of days comfortable motoring for her.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just be aware that the AC/DC inverter and other systems in the car (thermal management, computers etc) mean significant system losses - so if you are plugging in at 13A your charging efficiency tends to be pretty bad.
13A sockets and extension cables tend to only be rated for 10A continuous and if something gets too warm, the adapters have built in thermal protection and will cut out.
By Rjk983
riverrock wrote:There are lots of groups who do reviews of EVs and real world range is a normal comparator (eg https://www.whatcar.com/news/range-test ... rld/n23331
https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev ... t-results/
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... orld-range
I'm sure there are many others.
You probably need to go into model / brand dedicated forums for more detailed cloud sourced range if you can't find reviews of your exact model.

Loads of things can effect the range.

@riverrock I’m aware loads of things effect range, that’s why I am interested in long term average m/kWh as opposed to the predicted range thrown up on the dashboard.

The reviews you listed were helpful thanks.

The closest match to our car appears in one test but they seem to have got onto a motorway and driven at a steady 70mph which is neither typical nor close to our use case. But they get very close to the same average m/kWh as we do so it seems ours may be typical.

We live in the country, lots of hills and lots of stop start as we drive through small towns so probably close to the worst case usage profile.

The wider picture from those three links shows that ours make and model is possibly at the bottom end of performance compared to other makes and models so when our lease is up and we change in 18 months there is hope for a better experience.

Jim Jones wrote:If you've made use of the 'range' feature on an ICE car you will see that fluctuate due to weather, terrain, speed etc, same with the consumption…

…Range is not the problem, reliable charging is.

@Jim Jones

I agree that range can fluctuate for any number of reasons with both ICE and electric. That is why we have never reset the trip counter since we got the car 18 months ago and look at the 18 month average consumption figure as opposed to the rolling recent trip average. I suppose we have been driving over two winters and one summer so possibly at the low end of the average cycle at present but ours does seem to replicate the figures achieved by the various online reviews and long term tests.

And it doesn’t matter how reliable the chargers are if they are too spaced out for your range to allow you to move between them :wink:
When considering your next vehicle purchase, if it's a Renault or Nissan, there's this;

And if you already have one, maybe consider skipping the next few software updates :shock:

Bill McCarthy wrote:The French have a record of “assisting” the enemy.

any particular occasions in mind ?

[there have been a lot of myths generated about the Falklands, during which the French Government could not have been more helpful to HMG, for instance in preventing more Exocets reaching Argentina. However, their Embassy in Buenos Aires were powerless to control, nor even to reach, the Dassault (private French company) crew isolated on an Argentinian airbase, where they were integrating already delivered Exocets to already delivered Super Etendards]
kanga wrote:

Umm, Russia, February / March 2022, as per.
eltonioni wrote:
kanga wrote:

Umm, Russia, February / March 2022, as per.

"assisting" how ?
There's no need to get into the weeds on this (and it belongs in another thread) @kanga but I'd call a sending billion quid a day for gas and oil while and restarting your state owned business in Russia while selling them arms and not enforcing sanctions as assisting the enemy.
eltonioni wrote:..I'd call a sending billion quid a day for gas and oil while and restarting your state owned business in Russia while selling them arms and not enforcing sanctions as assisting the enemy.

First is regrettable but may, for the moment, be unavoidable for French government. UK government, too, is presumably still allowing (or unable to prevent) purchases of Russian oil and gas for delivery to UK entities (for power stations and retail consumers), although these may be more or wholly by private companies in UK after privatisations of the '80s.

Otherwise, thanks for extra details, but (in genuine curiosity):

Is Renault France able, legally or physically, to prevent restart of production by its Russian subsidiary ?
What arms (previously or still) being sold ?
With the enforcement of what EU sanctions is France not complying ?
classgee liked this
@kanga Russia is not legally able to invade Ukraine. They still did it.

It's not a desktop game any more. We have to stand for something, or we fall for everything.
By TheKentishFledgling
Well I'm now a week into my two month Zoe loan. Interesting little thing. More on the car when I get a minute, but so far there's zero chance of convincing me you can make an EV work if you don't have charging available at home.

I've tried to use public chargers six times, having driven to meetings that I'd normally walk to only as they were near chargers. Four of them have been out of order. My nearest point to home is a ridunculously slow charging thing (22kW) so won't charge fully in the four hours I'm allowed there. I gave it a blast in the local Morrisons fast charger (43 kW) but hadn't realised until after that rapid charging doesn't really work when battery is over 80%.

Planning a 200 mile round trip from Kent to Maidenhead next week. Looks like all the chargers around my destination are out of order, so will need to rely on the motorway chargers at some point, which I imagine over Easter weekend will be busier than normal. Hmmm. I really am keen to trial the thing properly, but given the charging situation it's also tempting just to take the V6 to save faffing.