For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Rob P wrote:Model 3, the little job, about £180 for appropriate Michelin. (19″ 235 / 40 96W)

It does seem a lot when I am buying huge Contis for the Jaguar at £140

But then I realised that £180 x 4 = £720

Rob P

EV tyres need to carry a lot of weight, My Golf-sized EV weights 1.8tonnes., 4 up plus luggage over 2 tonnes
They also have to cope with a huge torque from standstill
Low rolling resistance needed to maximise range
Many have built in noise reducing foam as tyre noise is much more noticeable, but overall noise is lower than ICE cars

Replacement Bridgestones for mine are £118 a corner from Asda tyres fully fitted
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote:
Rob P wrote:Only 4% of AA callouts to EV are flat motive battery. Prime causes are tyres and the 12v battery.

:scratch:
Im sure this has been answered before, but why is a 12V battery ever going to go flat before the presumably Big Eff-Off Motive Battery, that presumably should/could be charging it all the time (unlike in an ICE)...what am I missing?

Regards, SD..

Due (I'm told) to more electrical checks throughout the vehicles, they are much more sensitive to expiring 12V batteries.
Others tell me, that if you start getting various "Stop Electrical Fault" messages on the dash, there is a good chance its because the 12V battery is nearing end of life, so there isn't a stable voltage throughout the electronic systems. This is even if the transformer from traction battery (400V or so) to 12V bus is active (which in my Zoe's case, is any time the car is "started").

The problem is that the energy use profile on the 12V bus doesn't fit an ideal profile for standard 12V car batteries. However standard 12V batteries are installed for ease of maintenance and cost. Means that they die more quickly than on ICE cars.
By seanxair
Haven't been in this thread up to now but we have just swapped my company vehicle to a Kia e-Niro 4+. Nearly all my miles are local so unlikely to challenge the range that much and already I'm thinking differently about how much aircon I need on etc. Only had it a few days but very impressed with it so far.
By riverrock
seanxair wrote:Haven't been in this thread up to now but we have just swapped my company vehicle to a Kia e-Niro 4+. Nearly all my miles are local so unlikely to challenge the range that much and already I'm thinking differently about how much aircon I need on etc. Only had it a few days but very impressed with it so far.

Welcome to the EV owners club!
By JonathanB
The Hyundai Ioniq has had a spate of 12v battery issues (not mine fortunately, except once on the PHEV). It is supposed to periodically wake up and charge it from the main drive battery but there was a misguided option on previous software to switch that functionality off - its now not an option to switch it off. That said some cars seem to have 12V batteries that are a bit duff and start acting up when they don’t hold enough charge - one warning sign is the emergency services being auto-dialled without warning (there is an SOS function in the car with a manual button, but I think it will do it after airbag deployment too).
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It's barking with today's technology that a 12V battery in an EV can leave it stranded. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to have some sort of button to press or switch to turn to get power from the main battery to power up the system?

What would the button or switch be powered by? :wink: . I get the impression that the two circuits are so dramatically different that the number of "points of contact" are kept to a bare minimum to ease isolation come an emergency.
By JonathanB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:What would the button or switch be powered by?

We might have to go back to where buttons and switches are actually connected to something other than a computer! :D

In fact the earlier HEV versions of the Ioniq did have a 12V battery boost button. For some reason the PHEV and BEV versions never got it.
Zoe is being phased out in two years time so likely to be some bargains to be had in 2023.

No direct replacement as the platform is coming to the end of its life. The slot in the range will be filled by the new Renault 5.

I've never driven a Zoe, nor have I heard anything bad about it.

Whilst on French EV I see we are to get the Citroën Ami at around £5,000 outright purchase. Were I a city dweller with the means to charge one I'd be very tempted (not a suggestion for Peter)

Rob P
Colonel Panic, RobW liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Anybody on here got anything to say about the Renault Zoe; either the current 40Kw battery or the newer 50 Kw battery versions?

TIA

Peter :wink:

ZOE is a popular EV.

Go and have a whizz in one and buy it.

:wink:

Thinking hard:
I sat in one (40KW) the other day and was gob-smacked: Orders of magnitude bigger than 'er indoors' cramped Polo which she hates.

Hatchback: massive range (relatively speaking, certainly OK for our use)...Main leccy cable easily accessible at point of house entry for spur to garage...

Trouble is ATM it's a stubborn flat refusal: 'I'm not buying an electric car'.................... :roll:
By RobW
Rob P wrote:Zoe is being phased out in two years time so likely to be some bargains to be had in 2023.

No direct replacement as the platform is coming to the end of its life. The slot in the range will be filled by the new Renault 5.

I've never driven a Zoe, nor have I heard anything bad about it.

Whilst on French EV I see we are to get the Citroën Ami at around £5,000 outright purchase. Were I a city dweller with the means to charge one I'd be very tempted (not a suggestion for Peter)

Rob P

And the Megane E-tech arrives next year for those requiring something slightly larger, anyone in the Norfolk Area requiring a test drive in the Zoe, please let me know!