For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:@eltonioni do the algorithms now exist? :shock:
I bet that the geeks say it does. Just a tweak here and there, etc.

Regardless of how good the tech' gets this is ultimately an ethical matter which needs the meat in the seat to make the ultimate split-decision.

Above and beyond that, governments need to make laws and which politician in any sane nation wants to approve the bus stop or box algorithm?

Finally, it's an actuarial dilemma and if this tech can't be insured, it ain't happening.
I reckon there's only one possibility. That if the driver elects to have full automation a condition is he is 'dispensable' and accepts the risk. Algorithms to cover all scenarios not being a reasonable objective it has to come down to something as simple as that. Even though it in itself is far from ideal.

I'm not convinced I'll see full automation on any meaningful scale and I'm not as old as many on here. :wink:
eltonioni liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:I reckon there's only one possibility. That if the driver elects to have full automation a condition is he is 'dispensable' and accepts the risk. Algorithms to cover all scenarios not being a reasonable objective it has to come down to something as simple as that. Even though it in itself is far from ideal.

I'm not convinced I'll see full automation on any meaningful scale and I'm not as old as many on here. :wink:

I'm with you. A few years ago I was looking forward to a time when a little automated pod could me up and taking me wherever before scurrying off to the next customer, sanitising the interior as it goes. Having seen the tech develop, the people behind it, how governments have sat on their hands, and having had time to think about the apparently insurmountable obstacles, it all looks further away than ever. I'm even not convinced that electric vehicles are the future either.

I'm buying a Vespa instead.
Miscellaneous liked this
@Paultheparaglider Quite possibly, though I suspect that my internal monologue about stylishly arriving at meetings in a pale blue linen suit with the gentle bzz of an ICE will win out and a GTS will happen. :)
Update on my VW ID.3.
It was rushed out to avoid huge EU fines for missing targets for sales of zero emission cars. The software was beta, with missing features and odd glitches such as some setups were for LHD. .There were very, very good incentives to buy it then. And, of course as of last week it would no longer qualify for the government subsidy so is already worth more than I paid for it.

It was in the dealer for 3 days last week for the upgrade. (Brand new Polo as loan car).

It is now the car I paid for.
Mechanically it has always been fine, now the interface is responsive, fully featured , correctly set up for RHD and CarPlay now works via Bluetooth while my phone charges wirelessly. Smooth, quiet, roomy, responsive, relaxing. .

Fuel costs are now just over 1p per mile as I charge overnight from 00.30 to 04.30 at 5p per KWH. .Next planned visit for servicing is in 19000 miles or 2023. Cost estimate for that service, £200. :thumleft:
Rob P, Colonel Panic, AlanC liked this
The "running" costs that people quote for electric cars never seem to take in the capital purchase cost/cost of ongoing pcp finance as you should do when producing a proper discounted cash flow analysis.
My current car cost me £1100 to buy: I can put a lot of fuel and oil in it and do lots of cam belt changes for the cost of an electric car.

Interestingly it is clearly optimized for town driving as the fuel consumption in urban use is much better than the previous edition of the same model I had while on long journeys the fuel consumption is worse. Done in part by altering the gear ratio so now in 5 gear the engine rpm is higher so on long journeys on the motorway cruising at 65 I'm now using more fuel.