For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Melanie Moxon wrote:I still have the issue of having to take half the kitchen out to install the cable to run from between the meter and fuse box under the stairs (house built in 1935) and dig up 1/3 of the garden to put the requisite trench for the cable the 10m to the garage for a type 2 socket.

Something you'll have to do soon anyway, whether you buy a Tesla or not; so you should put that cost down to ongoing expenses, not a specific car 8)

[Says me, who had to dig up half a field in order to route a suitable cable :shock: ]
stevelup wrote:Yes, it's £5800 for something that doesn't exist yet and probably never will, and which cannot legally be used in Europe anyway.

Which are going after them. Basically, they're just stealing £5800 from anyone willing to tick the box.

Ignoring the actual price for a moment & any value arguments, but presumably you are not implying one gets nothing for opting for the "Full Self Driving" package in the UK?
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What you don't get, and won't get is 'Full Self Driving' - it is total unmitigated BS. So just call it 'co-pilot' or 'enhanced driver assistance' or something.

It's a massive overstatement of the actual capabilities. Let's break it down.

Full Self-Driving Capability

No it's not. It really isn't. Not by any even vaguely reasonable interpretation of the phrase.

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from motorway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

Rubbish. Total rubbish - it's pure fantasy.

Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the motorway.

OK, but every other car with any Level 1 capabilities can do this.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.

As above. In fact, both my previous cars could do this, so this isn't novel.

Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a car park. Really.

1) Massive overstatement of the capability of this
2) It's illegal in Europe

Coming later this year:
Recognise and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.

Neat. But still technically vapourware

Automatic driving on city streets.

Absolutely zero chance of this ever happening.
Good; so we are agreed that one doesn't get nothing. :wink:

Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the motorway.
OK, but every other car with any Level 1 capabilities can do this.

At the risk of splitting hairs, not true. Lane Changing is Level 2.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
As above. In fact, both my previous cars could do this, so this isn't novel.

I was never claiming is was novel, just that it is a thing.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from motorway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

It’s here and it’s working, not perfect but it certainly isn’t pure fantasy!
I bought FSD with my order because I think in 5 years time it will be a selling point and give a better resale value.
By stevelup
Sorry, it's either Full Self-Driving - a very bold claim. Or it's just a very good driver assistance system.

I don't doubt the latter for one minute, but it's certainly not the former.

You're telling me you can travel from one motorway on-slip, to a subsequent exit-slip, passing one or more junctions, without intervening? No, you can't!
By skydriller
malcolmfrost wrote:I bought FSD with my order because I think in 5 years time it will be a selling point and give a better resale value.

But will that be 5.8k worth of better resale value?
Changing subject slightly.

I need an electric SUV kinda vehicle to replace my Mitsubishi PHEV next March when the lease ends. Don't want a twin engined solution I want to go full EV. I had a Leaf and a Twizy (don't ask :oops: ) so happy to go this route.

Problem is it has to take a 100 kg electric wheelchair on a hoist, which the Mitsu does easily. Forget Kia and Hyundai's offering as they can't offer delivery in time.

Apart from the new Peugeot e2008 SUV any suggestions?
stevelup wrote:Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from motorway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

If you can get past the Telly Savalas meets a Storm Trooper vlogger then this video shows that Navigate on Autopilot does work, including overtaking, interchange & on/off ramps. Maybe only in the US, but real & legal.

Something tells me that doing the driving oneself could well be more relaxing though!
By riverrock
From what I hear, its a gimmick that you end up having to be more alert using that you are when driving normally, and there are often software updates which can set the experience back.
This guy has posted extensively on trying to drive with the automatics on in the UK:

It might work on an empty freeway but it doesn't work well enough anywhere else to be relied upon.
CloudHound wrote:
I need an electric SUV kinda vehicle to replace my Mitsubishi PHEV

Problem is it has to take a 100 kg electric wheelchair on a hoist

Rob P