For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote: I think Rob has three, don't you Rob?

Yes indeed, the Jaguar, her TT Quattro and a £600 VW Caddy van that I use most of the time.

Miscellaneous wrote:I'm quite sure, like me, you wouldn't swap motoring costs with @Paul_Sengupta

Not for a second. I'm at a stage of spending, not acquiring. Being the richest man in the hospice has no appeal to me. Mind you, the VED is horrendous. :shock:

Miscellaneous wrote:I am frequently bewildered by the obsession some have on always getting the cheapest. :lol:

Happy to join you in that thought.

Oh look, another three grand being spent on a 16-year old car that's worth six grand at best

I would love an EV, but at the moment I have no need that it meets, apart from a desire to own an EV for the driving experience. The hope is that there will be an 'affordable' EV Roadster at some point, and more or less whatever it costs that'll become Sandra's car, on a PCP unless she's commuting. Why not?

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
@Paul_Sengupta
Have you ever taken the covers off the Jaguar sills?

I'd strongly recommend it, sooner rather than later.

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:@Paul_Sengupta
Have you ever taken the covers off the Jaguar sills? I'd strongly recommend it, sooner rather than later.

What's the forum equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and saying that I'm not listening? :D

I did ask how the sills were at the last MOT. They seemed to think they were ok.
The earlier you catch it ... and they aren't properly visual to an MOT inspector as they don't take the covers off.

Rob P
It's more obvious, but patently no louder than it is on an ICE. There was a trend for fitting artificial external noise generators to the car so that at low speed they don't catch pedestrians unaware, but frankly the tyres make enough noise themselves.

Most EV come fitted with tyres specially purposed at reducing rolling and wind resistance. I have no idea if owners are replacing these with better performing tyres.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The tyres on the i3 where special and therefore ridiculously expensive (I have a set of wintertyres and good looking aloys to sell) on the Eyup they appear to be stock VW stuff.

At motorway speeds the internal noise levels are similar to an ICE, anything below that they are notably quieter. Not sure the Eyup has a noise generator (other than the screaming passengers)