For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Its just one half of a transformer. If they were going to put in a roadside charger anyway its a great idea to do away with more street furniture to replace with a coil whose footprint is less that the detector wires for traffic lights. The technology has existed for decades and used at low currents for phone, toothbrush and other small appliance charging.
By riverrock
was it further up this thread that overhead lines on trunk routes was mentioned?
https://nationaltechnology.co.uk/Plans_ ... Cables.php

Most HGVs follow similar routes day in & out, so allowing HGVs to only need to carry batteries for the first / last few miles of their journey and/or charge on-route should provide a significant CO2 saving. The technology is fairly well established.

On inductive charging I was surprised that it says it is 99.9% efficient. I thought normal charging cables were less efficient than that.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:I can't even begin to imagine the cost of installing these in the highway in large numbers. There's a lot of stuff down there already.

Am still thinking that EV's are a half-baked intermediary solution and that the long term change will involve hydrogen.

I am sure that there will be a mix in the future, but battery technology will be further developed and ever more suited to longer journeys.
By Flyin'Dutch'
riverrock wrote:was it further up this thread that overhead lines on trunk routes was mentioned?
https://nationaltechnology.co.uk/Plans_ ... Cables.php

Most HGVs follow similar routes day in & out, so allowing HGVs to only need to carry batteries for the first / last few miles of their journey and/or charge on-route should provide a significant CO2 saving. The technology is fairly well established.

On inductive charging I was surprised that it says it is 99.9% efficient. I thought normal charging cables were less efficient than that.

HOw about we design a system where these lorries are on wagons and pulled by one lorry with only one driver; lets call them trains
Colonel Panic, kanga liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Yup.

Hence the need for eletrification and expansion of the net including HS2.

Many people are focusing on the reduced traveltime from Brum to London, that is maybe a nice bonus, the real reason why investments need to be made is that there is not enough capacity. Long distance transport done by rail is very energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

The 'problem' is that there are too many NIMBYs rather than people who can see what the country as a whole needs.
By riverrock
I've always wondered about rail capacity - as there are a lot more cars on roads than trains on tracks.
I assume it's because stopping distances are measured in miles, and they assume that one train will be able to stop if the one ahead stops immediately without warning? Otherwise you'd have thought they could just make their measuring segments smaller (or do it remotely / virtually rather than having detectors on individual segments).
AIUI rail freight has increased annually for years even though the coal contracts have all but disappeared. Now that the rotting carcass of HS2 is being buried limb-by-limb, the railway network is being electrified properly but presumably, freight trains aren't able to be electrified due to having to get into freight yards / factory and warehouse back doors / sidings, etc? Do they have multi-mode(?) freight locos?

(Not having any interest at all in choo-choo trains beyond what they can do for me, the above represents almost my entire railway vocabulary. Sorry if I got things wrong :) )