For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Colonel Panic wrote:You & Yours is a bit like Which? Magazine. Sort of (vaguely) useful if one knows absolutely nothing about the subject in hand, but otherwise a load of lightweight tosh.

Not sure of your point, CP? Did the callers not exist, were they lying? Do the infrastructure problems, extent of, serviceability, how they are used not exist?
Do the 'experts' supporting EV lie too? :?

Colonel Panic wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:Essentially infrastructure troubles. Not working, unavailable etc, etc.

In 2.5 years I have yet to arrive at a public charging station to find it either full or broken.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that you and many have had little trouble. Doesn't really mean much in the greater scheme of getting everyone in EVs, though. :D

FTAOD I am not attacking EV buyers'. There is no need to defend EVs or your decision to buy one. I am simply responding to what I heard and what I have no reason to dismiss as fantasy.

Moreover, if the explosion in sales continues to outpace infrastructure development it seems reasonable to believe the number who do experience difficulty will grow.

stevelup wrote:I think most of the people moaning have done zero research and put absolutely no effort into their trip planning.

I accept that if you try and use an EV like an ICE, you're in for pain.

I thinks that's fair comment, however I think it is safe to say they will be and be expected to be used as ICE. :D
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I drove the previous EV both locally and twice to the UK and back. Not a Tesla so limited range and no access to the Tesla network of chargers.

That was a painful experience not to be repeated. In Germany, Belgium and France there is no useable public charging infrastructure. NL and GB a lot better but encountered broken charge points in those two too.

I now use the EV for trips I can do comfortably on the charge from home (and I am happy to empty it within the last few miles as the performance is very predictable) or when I know that there is a good charging provision en route.

>90% of the time the EV is perfect. For the rest we have access to an ICE car.
By avtur3
stevelup wrote:
The dealers should take some responsibility and do a proper and informative handover.

Now that's never going to happen, no self respecting car sales person is going to compromise a sale by telling the truth ... this is my opinion is based on my own experience dealing with car sales people over my 48 year driving career. It is vaguely possible that others have had a better experience.
Charles Hunt liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:You and Yours on Radio 4 today did not encourage me to be rushing out to buy an EV.

Is there any more joyless programme on the radio than Y&Y? Streams of whingers with first world problems that anyone with an ounce of nouse would sort for themselves.

New Year resolution for you. Stop listening.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:New Year resolution for you. Stop listening.

No need, Rob. I was just in the car and it was on. Before posting I had actually to check what I had been listening to.

You and Yours whiners (does not make their whining wrong :D ), dealers, network operators, manufacturers, whomever; problems exist. It is folly to deny it, it's inevitable, to be expected of any new technology. In fact I'd probably go as far as to suggest it is surprising how few have problems. So, in that regard it is a success. :thumright:

Still not for me at the moment though. :D
By skydriller
stevelup wrote:I think most of the people moaning have done zero research and put absolutely no effort into their trip planning.
I accept that if you try and use an EV like an ICE, you're in for pain.

Yeah.... But you are a pilot used to actually planning a trip and scheduling and etc, etc, etc...

I assure you that average Joe and probably more so Josephine public, just don't do this - they drive around until they see a 1/4 tank and then look for somewhere to fill up...even though the quarter tank is probably 200km of range... And should they see the scary light come on, they panic and REALLY NEED to fill up RIGHT NOW... Do you not remember the media fueled ( :shock: :roll: ) fuel shortage scaremongering a couple of months ago...??

Don't get me wrong, as @Flyin'Dutch' says, 90%, probably 95% of our driving trips are EV compatible without a thought. But my GF bought a diesel "touring" because a)she wanted the space for "The flying Dachshunds" :salut: , b)to be able to autonomously do EU trips, and c)she always wanted one :wink: . So anyway, we needed to go to Paris just before Christmas - SNCF on strike - so hopped in her car and just went without even thinking about it... "oh, 1/3rd fuel - stop at the local 5mins 'cause its cheaper than on Autoroutes" then around half way comfort break of 5 mins, so did almost 700km and arrived with just under 150km range left, and that is "seriously making time" as in I would say I rarely dipped below 130km/hr by choice on the Autoroute cutting the Sat nav predicted time by around 30mins :wink: ...

Regards, SD..