For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:At our gliding site we considered building a home thermal and did some calculations......

That's an interesting proposition. I suppose that in theory a 7m x 7m square of black should give around 100kW of lift at 2kW per square metre. But to heat a decent column of air would I guess take a LOT of energy. What did your calculations demonstrate?
By Flyin'Dutch'
VRB_20kt wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:At our gliding site we considered building a home thermal and did some calculations......

That's an interesting proposition. I suppose that in theory a 7m x 7m square of black should give around 100kW of lift at 2kW per square metre. But to heat a decent column of air would I guess take a LOT of energy. What did your calculations demonstrate?

That it was more energy efficient by far to buy a glider with a sustainer engine, and that is what we did!
nallen, Rob P, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By Rjk983
eltonioni wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Backt to our meteorology classes for the PPL, the earth is hit by about 2kW of solar energy per square meter.

You remember that! :shock: Next you'll be telling us that you know all the different clouds.

Ooh ooh sir, me me… white ones, rainy ones, anvil shape. Do I get a prize?
eltonioni liked this
From BBC East Midlands local news site, 20 Sep; presumably to become much more widespread as car park ones have:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... 048/page/4

"Electric vehicle charge points have been installed on lamp posts as part of a pilot scheme in Leicester.

The points have been placed on Sykefield Avenue and three other roads around Westcotes. Drivers will need an app to use them.

Councillor Adam Clarke said the biggest drawback for people buying electric vehicles was not having off-road parking, and having nowhere to charge near their homes.

"It's a huge challenge with the amount of people that haven't got off-street parking so we really do need to be looking now at how we meet that," he said.

"We have done a lot of research prior to the installation, where we knew there was an interest and uptake of the electric vehicles, and now we just need to monitor that to see what the uptake is like when the infrastructure is there."

The lamppost charge points cost around £1,000 each and the council has been given a government grant to install 22 of them.

Transport partnership Midlands Connect said it hoped the scheme was a step in the right direction in providing more accessible charging points for electric vehicle drivers.

Chief executive Maria Machancoses said having the right infrastructure was important and added: "If we are to meet the demand we need to deliver 11 charging points every day for the rest of the decade.

"And today we are calling on the government to work closer with local authorities and the private sector to ramp up these efforts and do it much faster than we are currently doing."

"

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... 6bb963.jpg

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... d916d6.jpg
Which may be a partial solution, but as more EVs are purchased, but lamp posts are normally spaced outside every twenty or so properties on each side of the road, alternatively, it can never be the full answer in streets of terraced housing. Is WiFi charging ever likely to be a feasible possibility?

PW
Propwash wrote:Which may be a partial solution, but as more EVs are purchased, but lamp posts are normally spaced outside every twenty or so properties on each side of the road,..

<not an engineer :oops: >

Presumably, a lamppost supporting one EV charging outlet could (with suitable subterranean wiring) be adapted to support more than one, analogous to a double socket in a house.

</>
Propwash wrote:But then we would be back to trailing cables across and along pavements...

PW

I was envisaging lamposts at the kerbside edge of the pavement, leaving the footway unobstructed