For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I think my main problem would be stopping myself pulling back on it as I passed 60 mph :D

Colonel Panic wrote: I rarely hold a steering wheel below the 3 & 9 o'clock positions

I tend to follow advanced driving practice and reposition my hands before making a steering input. I guess with this yoke thingy I would be positioning my hands in the top and bottom angles. Difficult to say without knowing the steering ratio. If it is highly geared then there would be little need to move hands at all of course.

The steering wheel on Mrs P's TT has a flat section at the bottom for ease of entrance and egress, I do find it odd sometimes in practice.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rob P wrote:We need to question if the steering device in the 200 mph Tesla Model S Plaid (0-60 mph <2 seconds) is a yoke or the illegitimate offspring of the Austin Allegro's 'Quartic' wheel.

Not that Tesla owners favour much 'hands-on' driving.

Perhaps Tesla drivers prefer hands-off the wheel at the six o'clock position?

(sorry, I'll get mi coat)
Rob P liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:Hmmm, looks like it is going to take a while to become natural ...

Most Allegros had reduced to nature in five or six years. :P

These Tesla square steering wheels are just another cheap publicity stunt sucked up by fanbois and idiot journos. It worked with Hyperlooop and it's working with Tesla.
If we think the Tesla steering wheel is mad, I just came across this elsewhere - the Ford Wrist Twist. It makes the Hyperloop seem like a good idea.

By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The loan Corsa I had while the Krauto was in dock last month had quite a significant flat segment from 4-8 oclock:

Certainly needed it to get my fat belly in....

Nice car though- only 6 months old.
Didn't like the 'kick' the steering gave me though, to 'get back in lane' if I crossed any white line.

A step too far for this old fa rt. :wink:
My Tesla Model 3 Long Range is two years old today.

17,889 problem free miles, with zero road tax, zero servicing & zero MOT (obviously).

Electricity has cost me £244, so an average of 1.36p per mile.

I have had two “ranger” visits, one to fix a missing clip holding the driver’s A pillar internal trim in place, and one to swap out a leaking OSR tail light cluster. Both done at home, FOC.

The only other cost to me was repairing a puncture, £25.

According to TeslaFi - some software I use for tracking data - my Estimated Range has dropped from 310 miles to 303 miles (a 2.5% drop)
Colonel Panic wrote:swap out

Really? :snooty:

I warned you that buying American would be the end of you.

The words you are struggling for are "change" or "replace"

Rob P :)
Bill McCarthy wrote:Wheels nomenclature for matelots is - Port for’d, Stb’d for’d, Port aft, and Stb’d aft ! :D

with red or green hubcaps, to be doubly sure ? :)
Charles Hunt liked this