For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Usually the taxation regime for a vehicle is determined by the date of registration.

Previous changes have not applied retrospectively- specifically, when the luxury car tax was introduced, it didn’t suddenly apply to existing vehicles, only new registrations after a certain date.

Whilst your scenario is possible, it would be an unusual precedent.
Colonel Panic liked this
The Budget red book, the one with the nasty bits in! Categorically states
In addition, the Budget announces the exemption of zero emission cars
from the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) ‘expensive car supplement’

It doesn't qualify the statement.
It will be nice, but I had that factored in anyway. It will also help the second hand market, driving more uptake.
stevelup wrote:Usually the taxation regime for a vehicle is determined by the date of registration.

Previous changes have not applied retrospectively- specifically, when the luxury car tax was introduced, it didn’t suddenly apply to existing vehicles, only new registrations after a certain date.

Whilst your scenario is possible, it would be an unusual precedent.

There have been other cases where the VED bracket for a car has changed well after initial purchase. Can't recall the detail, but it has certainly happened.

I can't find definitive "proof" that the Luxury Tax will be abolished for already taxed cars, but there is reference to "EV cars registered since 17/18" in the budget documents. We shall see ...

PS p32 refers https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... stings.pdf
So I just scraped in for the £3500 EV grant for a new Leaf, but it does mean my lovely low mileage 4yr old Leaf Acenta will be up for grabs.

I started this thread when I bought this car and cant believe its still going strong !!

So shall I start another entitled:
So, I just bought another, another one (LEAF)

and see how long that runs for

:D :D :D
By skydriller
Flying_john wrote:I started this thread when I bought this car and cant believe its still going strong !!

The car or the thread..... :wink:
It struck me on Monday that our new Peugeot EV is being built in Spain.

Or not :(

So, ( :wink: ) I phoned the dealership to enquire. The person answering the phone seemed perplexed by my question but said they’d ask and phone me back.

I’ve yet to hear back.
PSA closed all their factories last week. It would be incredible if your Peugeot dealer didn't know that. - aren't they manufacturer owned these days? We're finding out a lot about various firms' attitude to their customers and staff through all this and we might have long memories about those who show they don't care.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By avtur3
There is no doubt the public charging infrastructure for EV's in the UK gets a lot of flack for being unrelaible and often poorly positioned.

Now that 'big oil' in the shape of Shell and BP are taking EV's charging seriously lets hope that sparks a bit of competition between them as they compete for customers.

Interesting to see that Shell are making a move, this guy is a well know EV commentator, his comments have the capacity to induce many conversations about public charging.