For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Chris Martyr wrote:She practices with her crossbow in the garden apparently .

< Sid Waddell> " Wouldn't like to be a ferret in her backyard"............ :D

Perfectly legal as long as the bolts don't end up outside her property or cross someone elses property; I use my collection of air rifles and pistols in my garden under the same rules.
So, the morals of this story are:

1. Be a "prepper" (aka survivalist in old coinage).
2. Be suitably unprepared to actually have a bunch of farkwits get into your property with obviously no hard resistance.
3. Have pathetically low powered stringed weaponry hanging around, that could quite easily be used against you or yours - then (allegedly) use it against one of the intruders.
4. Call the Daily Mail when you get broken into, cos local plod doesn't give an airborne bit of brown wrinkly fruit.

Did I miss something?
I'm deliberately skipping the androgynous thing, just in case anyone asks.

Comme chez the "what would you do" thread, hat off to that madame for at least "being prepared" and also having the b*lls to "let loose". If you've never been in that kind of situation, it's near to impossible to predict how you'll react.

Hopefully "next time" she'll follow through with the secondary use of a crossbow, which is turning the weapon round 180 degrees and clubbing the cnut to mush.Not sure if the household insurance would cover that, but it would at least be historically accurate
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anyone under the misapprehension that a crossbow is just "pathetically low powered stringed weaponry " should understand that there are some truly lethal ones and OCB was jesting.

The message from any crossbow-bolt is, " reconsider your plan of attack" Seen one go straight through a standard straw Archery-target.

Also seen a length of electrical conduit turned into a blowpipe, firing masonry- nails araldited into a cone of sticky-backed plastic.....penetrated straight through a waney-lap shed at about 10 feet from the muzzle.
cockney steve wrote:Anyone under the misapprehension that a crossbow is just "pathetically low powered stringed weaponry " should understand that there are some truly lethal ones and OCB was jesting.

The message from any crossbow-bolt is, " reconsider your plan of attack" Seen one go straight through a standard straw Archery-target.

Also seen a length of electrical conduit turned into a blowpipe, firing masonry- nails araldited into a cone of sticky-backed plastic.....penetrated straight through a waney-lap shed at about 10 feet from the muzzle.

I was messing about with a 'pistol' crossbow one day. The owner handed me one of its mini bolts which he had modified; filed down the 'pointed' end and attached a small piece of metal to it. I thought it must be some way of making a more precise 'hole' when shooting at card targets.
He suggestedI I fire it at a target which was backed by a piece of plywood; I did so and on contact, there was a load bang and a resulting hole in the plywood.
The small piece of metal was a percussion cap like you see in the middle of the base of a shotgun cartridge; filled with fulminate of mercury it had exploded on contact!
Indeed I was mucking about.

I dunno the power of the handheld crossbow the lady used, but as a teenager I tried a couple out. I doubt the bolt would get through a leather biker's jacket at a few yards. Nice sharp bolt at indoor range certainly would make a burglar think twice tho!

Field/hunting crossbows - certainly to be respected at all times, although as a field archer I never did get into them.

Exploding air rifle targets? Must check on youtube! sounds fun :D
By Flintstone
OCB wrote:Exploding air rifle targets? Must check on youtube! sounds fun :D

Reactive targets, bit of a larf.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Firebird-React ... 1700311336

I understand that paintball/airsoft suppliers also stock thunderflashes and smoke grenades, the latter available in several colours. Mine are............I mean, I’ve seen them in blue, green, red and purple.
As a humble (dual passport holding) subject of the Kingdom of the Smurfs, I can buy and am free to use any air rifle I want, as long as I don't put a "night vision" scope on it. Yes, there are no restrictions on "foot poundage" like in the UK

A year or so back I decided to check out what that meant...well...how about a .50 cal air rifle that can put a hole through 3/4 inch pine board at over 600 yards..... :shock:

that vid was to about 440 yards, and yee-haw trajectory

Next vid was follow up where they went to over 600 yards...
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Making it into a firearm and making it illegal..........

Not in the UK.

"A firearm is "a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged" (section 57 (1) Firearms Act 1968) "

The absence of any barrel at all precludes describing this as a firearm Mind you I am sure the constabulary would find some suitable charge.

The projectile however may fall into the description of" ammunition" using a primer as it does.

Rob P
By Flintstone
OCB wrote:As a humble (dual passport holding) subject of the Kingdom of the Smurfs, I can buy and am free to use any air rifle I want, as long as I don't put a "night vision" scope on it.

There are a few oddities once you look across borders. Night vision equipment on rifles is entirely legal in the U.K.

Moderators (silencers) are legal and can be bought across the counter if they are for sub-12ft/lb air rifle but if I intend to use that same moderator on a ‘real’ firearm I must have permission on my Firearm Certificate.

In many States of the USA silencers are banned outright as are air pistols.

:scratch:
OCB wrote:As a humble (dual passport holding) subject of the Kingdom of the Smurfs, I can buy and am free to use any air rifle I want, as long as I don't put a "night vision" scope on it. Yes, there are no restrictions on "foot poundage" like in the UK

To get the night vision gear do you need to be a duel passport holder? :wink:
kanga, Rob P liked this
LOL.

Image Intensifiers etc aren't illegal here - it's only when it's a night vision device that can be mounted on a gun. Even having one in your possession is illegal here.

So I think in theory you could have head-mounted "night goggles" on, and use the iron sights.

No idea how "the law" here would cope with a rifle (or crossbow for that matter) fitted with an iPhone+Inteliscope (iPhone mount) + Seek Thermal (thermal imager).

It's not a scope - it's a phone with a camera + CCD...which can see in the dark.... :think:

Or I could just drive over to the Netherlands if I really wanted to have some nocturnal shooting fun. :thumright: