For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Cheers Peter.

I see the advantage in getting height then KE for bunker busting, not so much for non hardened surface buildings though.

Beeb covered our little intervention here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43769322

Defence wiki thing I read basically said there are all kinds of flight profiles depending on target, missile etc.

Not really looked, but I wonder how “stealthy” these systems are.

Oh, and from what the Russians are saying (so no way to know the truth), they didn’t use their modern air defence systems, only the Syrians used their “old Soviet” era tech.

Have to say, looking at the satellite photos on the Wail, if that’s the damage that a small percentage of hits can do, then Assad + Russians should definitely be worried.

Or, maybe the Kremlin mouthpiece who said they’d taken out the majority of missiles, is related to Comical Ali... :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Dave W wrote:Interesting analysis: Foreign policy by atrocity is defunt

What I find interesting is the number of articles we get like this these days that strike me as being fundamentally pro Russia propaganda pieces when you read between the lines.

By the way, is the proposition that Russia is stronger under Putin than under Yeltsin correct? Or is it just more ambitious and aggressive? I don't doubt for one minute that Putin is far smarter than Yeltsin, and a better leader, but that doesn't mean it is stronger.
By OCB
Paul,

I have plenty of Russian friends and colleagues.

Putain is like Trump, but smarter and old skool KGB - but dumber in that Trump wouldn’t gamble the US reputation on muppet land grabs like Crimea, Ukraine and Georgia.

Every time the Kremlin says they didn’t do something, so often a video turns up showing the contrary.

That clearly makes them look stupid, which they aren’t.

Putain back home is seen as hero, his bare top half photos are genuinely seen as virile poster boy stuff. Might be laughable to us - especially putin on the ritz - but back home he’s the bee’s knees.
By rf3flyer
OCB wrote:Paul,

I have plenty of Russian friends and colleagues.

Putain is like Trump, but smarter and old skool KGB - but dumber in that Trump wouldn’t gamble the US reputation on muppet land grabs like Crimea, Ukraine and Georgia.

Every time the Kremlin says they didn’t do something, so often a video turns up showing the contrary.

That clearly makes them look stupid, which they aren’t.

Putain back home is seen as hero, his bare top half photos are genuinely seen as virile poster boy stuff. Might be laughable to us - especially putin on the ritz - but back home he’s the bee’s knees.

I thought Putain was French. :)
By OCB
Back on topic, I found this interesting.

Fisk on site talking to one of the doctors who treated the victims. They say there was no gas attack, but hypoxia due to a dust storm.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

He can be grating sometimes, but he was been in the ME for a very long time and seems, to me at least, to have the best “feel” for the place out of any Western mainstream journalist I know of.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So this comes from a Doctor who wasn't there at the time, in a location now controlled by the people who allegedly did the bombing, who he needs to now ingratiate himself to?
kanga liked this
By OCB
I read the article on my phone. I thought the doctor was there at the time? Otherwise, as you say, pointless.
By Bill Haddow
OCB wrote:
They say there was no gas attack, but hypoxia due to a dust storm.

I've been in dust storms, very unpleasant, but they didn't cause hypoxia. One purpose of the ghutra is to act as a filter / protection.

Bill H
skydriller liked this
By kanga
OCB wrote:..

Fisk on site.. been in the ME for a very long time and seems, to me at least, to have the best “feel” for the place out of any Western mainstream journalist I know of.

he has decades of 'form' for seeming to be automatically, instinctively and swiftly ready to oppose or blame (in order) Israel, USA and UK for any development in the ME; and consequently appearing to defend any regime or group who are opposing any of these at any moment. This, to me (with many long-standing personal ME connexions in several countries and cultural/historical/language knowledge) gives him longevity but not necessarily credibility. Others, of course, may disagree. :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this