For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No; correlation without causation Is not a sound basis for decision. In any event I’m 70 years old I’m not interested in prolonging life unless I’m enjoying it.

Just keep watching the ads for funeral plans and mobility scooters.....
By kanga
Chris Martyr wrote:..

I do hope that our young Cambridge academics have weaved all these factors into their studies .

[ :lol: ]

.. which their older and more pedantic supervisors would have rewritten as 'woven' :)
By johnm
Just keep watching the ads for funeral plans and mobility scooters.....

I see daytime tv just occasionally when I feel the need of a bit of moving wall paper while I drink my afternoon tea :D

I am not yet their target audience :D
flybymike liked this
By Jim Jones
daysleeper wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:It has no “never drinker”category. Where was yours published? It’s interesting.

It's the same paper. Look in the "supplementary materials" section, page 31 figure 10.
the lancet

Aha! Thanks for that. I’m surprised it wasn’t in the main paper. The J shaped curve returns. :cry:

The question posed by this finding is should lifelong teetotallers be encouraged to have a wee dram for the sake of their health?
By Flintstone
flybymike wrote:Or their happiness. :wink:

From t’interweb of things (so probably not true).
When Charles deGaulle decided to retire from public life, the American ambassador and his wife threw a gala dinner party in his honor. At the dinner table the Ambassador’s wife was talking with Madame de Gaulle.

“Your husband has been such a prominent public figure, such a presence on the French and International scene for so many years! How quiet retirement will seem in comparison. What are you most looking forward to in these retirement years?”

“A ****,” replied Madame de Gaulle.

A huge hush fell over the table. Everyone heard her answer . . . and
no one knew what to say next.

Finally, Le Grand Charles leaned over to his wife and said, “Ma cherie, I believe zee Americans pronounce zat word ‘appiness.'”