For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
PS Why not take the iMac to an approved re-seller for diagnostics? They will PROB80 be notably cheaper than Apple. It does seem a shame to throw it away even if it does need a new logic board.

I pass on my iMac's to Mrs P when I want a new one; now I am using her cast-off as a secondary screen and it works well 8)

PaulB, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PaulB
Thanks for that... They only mention Macbooks (my dead beastie is an iMac which might be costly to post) but I *do* have my MiL's dead Macbook Air! May give them a try....
GrahamB liked this
By PaulB
Just coming back to this..... has anyone used, or know of, a reputable Mac repairer anywhere in the Midlands, or should I resort to sticking a pin in Google?

To be honest, the iMac is (to me) dead, so it can’t come back much worse than it is now!
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulB wrote:Just coming back to this..... has anyone used, or know of, a reputable Mac repairer anywhere in the Midlands, or should I resort to sticking a pin in Google?

To be honest, the iMac is (to me) dead, so it can’t come back much worse than it is now!

I've just sent my laptop to the people linked above in @rusty eagle's post. It's not dead, but the USB ports were fried by US Customs breaking and shorting out a dongle that I stupidly left inserted. It will be reaching them in a day or two, and I'll have the diagnostics back shortly after that so I can let you know what are quoting for a repair.
By PaulB
Thanks for that.... let me know how you get on. I was going to try them for the MiL’s air, but not quite got round to it.

Their website, however doesn’t mention anything other than laptops and posting a large iMac wouldn’t be cheap if it did, hence the request for local repairers.
By KingJames
My 2012 mac has died, try doing a boot in verbose mode as I have a opendirectoryd problem that resulted in too many corpses and it not getting to the end of the boot bar and you could have the same issue. Apple have pushed something out and broken mine compounding with their completely rubbish fusion drive now reporting a SMART disk problem from the disk utility repair tool that appears in recovery mode. It's going in tomorrow most likely for diagnoses but the number of people raising an issue all of a sudden isn't coincidental in my opinion.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/05/23 ... binations/
By GrahamB
PaulB wrote:Thanks for that... They only mention Macbooks (my dead beastie is an iMac which might be costly to post) but I *do* have my MiL's dead Macbook Air! May give them a try....

Sorry, you’re right about the iMac. :oops:
By PaulB
GrahamB wrote:I've juswt sent my laptop to the people linked above in @rusty eagle's post. It's not dead, but the USB ports were fried by US Customs breaking and shorting out a dongle that I stupidly left inserted. It will be reaching them in a day or two, and I'll have the diagnostics back shortly after that so I can let you know what are quoting for a repair.

@GrahamB did you get your Mac successfully repaired?
By GrahamB
As it happens, they got back to me with a repair cost of £125. I told them to go ahead at the end of last week, so I'm expecting it back some time next week, hopefully.
PaulB liked this