For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By matthew_w100
Having just had to do another swathe of diversity training (I have a weekly appointment with HR now I'm too old to care) I was wondering about the different perspective of the community from which these burglars came. I was trying to get past the "them ****, they're all a bunch of scumbags" thoughts.

"I don't know what's wrong with these people [who took them down]. He wasn't a murderer, he wasn't a rapist, they're putting him as a monster." said a woman hanging up flowers. But in my community someone who breaks into a pensioner's house with a mate and threatens him with violence while trying to rob him *is* a monster. Is he not one in the travelling community? Do they regard robbery with violence as being the same sort of level of criminality as we regard, I don't know, selling a bit of weed? Clearly different communities rank antisocial behaviours in different orders of heinousness, but surely travellers would deal harshly with someone breaking into granny's caravan and threatening her with a screw-driver?
OCB liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:Even before Janet Street-Porter posted a comment piece on the Wail, I was wondering the same. Why don't the police stop the unwanted and clearly aggressive "shrine making"?

In Scotland I'm pretty sure they'd be charge with breach of the peace, maybe not first time - but certainly 2nd time round.

You can't drop a 1cm receipt without getting a fine for littering etc - so how come this is "tolerated"?

Because every bl00dy street corner seems to be considered a churchyard and nobody goes to church
By OCB
The farce of the flower parade goes on.

I really don't get English law.

Which part of "git tae f***" don't they understand, and with that the local plod's responsibility to uphold local peace?

I honestly can't keep comparing to what would happen in Scotland.
Plod would try to be diplomatic for a bit, but after that they'd huckle the lot of them - short, sharp and shrift.

Everyone knows the law is an ass - which basically means, don't stand right behind and slap it, otherwise you should expect an instant and well deserved kick in the face.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Chris Martyr
So comforting to see that these people are behaving with equal dignity at the funeral of their loved one as they were on the days just after their 'sad loss'.

As for the scumbag with the catapult.....Do you reckon their local social services will 'reach out' and lay on some counselling for him ?

No doubt they will have instructed the undertakers to lay Henry's favourite screwdriver along the top of the coffin .
mick w liked this
By romille
It's the Osborn-Brooks that I feel truly sorry for. They have gone from an elderly couple getting on with their lives, to being taken away from their home, friends and neighbours into a Police protection program for fear of reprisals. Seeing the behaviour of the mourners at the funeral it is probably the right thing for the Police to do.
Spooky liked this
By OCB
Am I the only one to think these thoughts:

1. Dearly Departed was a career criminal, from what appears to be large collection of career criminals
2. Criminals tend not to pay a lot of tax, as they have to work "in the black"
3. Dearly Departed's nearest and dearest appear to have forked out a minor fortune for the send-off (and the running flower tribute battles)
4. Isn't there just the slightest chance that the cash used for said send-off and flower-battles could just maybe possbily have come from illicit or untaxed sources?
5. Shouldn't HMRC as a minimum be just a tad interested in where the funding came from?

The entire bash could, of course, have been paid for by the Daily Wail...they seem to adore this horrid little spectacle....
By Spooky
OCB wrote:Am I the only one to think these thoughts:

1. Dearly Departed was a career criminal, from what appears to be large collection of career criminals
2. Criminals tend not to pay a lot of tax, as they have to work "in the black"
3. Dearly Departed's nearest and dearest appear to have forked out a minor fortune for the send-off (and the running flower tribute battles)
4. Isn't there just the slightest chance that the cash used for said send-off and flower-battles could just maybe possbily have come from illicit or untaxed sources?
5. Shouldn't HMRC as a minimum be just a tad interested in where the funding came from?

The entire bash could, of course, have been paid for by the Daily Wail...they seem to adore this horrid little spectacle....

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. And it appears his dad has scammed his way into a £1.7 million property
4. Most definitely
5. They should, but they’d rather go after a small business legally claiming fuel expenses than the loveable travelling community. It seems that everyone from the police to the council to the government are terrified of upsetting the loveable rogues :roll:
By flybymike

What makes you think they would bother paying the bill?
By OCB
flybymike wrote:

What makes you think they would bother paying the bill?

I'm kinda running on the assumption that the flower shops, car hire companies, funeral home etc don't open a free and open ended line of credit.

Certainly every time I've had to buy flowers, hire a car (for private use), use the services of an undertaker etc - it's been either full payment up front or in terms of an undertaker, a large proportion of the costs covered up front.

I do believe the UK is like the rest of the EU, and any cash payments over a somewhat trivial amount have to be reported to the relevant tax authorities.
By Chris Martyr
OCB wrote:I do believe the UK is like the rest of the EU, and any cash payments over a somewhat trivial amount have to be reported to the relevant tax authorities.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who will look into the totally blemish free record of the Vincent family and assess the matter as one not worth following up !
By Paul_Sengupta
OCB wrote:Certainly every time I've had to buy flowers, hire a car (for private use), use the services of an undertaker etc - it's been either full payment up front or in terms of an undertaker, a large proportion of the costs covered up front.

You must look untrustworthy. For my mother's funeral recently, absolutely no one, from the undertaker to the flowers to the printers to the reception, wanted any sort of payment up front. I'm still wondering whether I've paid everyone. :shock:
By Cessna57
romille wrote:It's the Osborn-Brooks that I feel truly sorry for. They have gone from an elderly couple getting on with their lives, to being taken away from their home, friends and neighbours into a Police protection program for fear of reprisals. Seeing the behaviour of the mourners at the funeral it is probably the right thing for the Police to do.

With family members as retired Policemen, despite the odd unsavoury experience with the Police in my lifetime I have always generally regarded them as “on my side”.
(I have come across 2 bad apples.)

I must admit that this single incident has completely destroyed my faith in our Police force.

The law is quite clear, it’s just not being upheld.
By johnm
The authorities are now cowardly, self serving, politically correct, overpaid weasels and those of us who try to maintain standards are on a loser. Let's go for massive civil disobedience and see how they cope :twisted: